92 replies to this topic

#81 B P

B P

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:49 AM

just finished season 4. can't believe they did bodie like that. can't wait to see what happens in season 5. i wonder what it would have been like to do a similar show based in NYC.

i've heard season 5 was cut short. can anyone just tell me in advance whether the series was wrapped nicely or abruptly? i just want to brace myself.
Posted Image
"I just had an argument with a girl I know. She was saying how it's unfair that if a guy bangs a different girl every week, he's a legend, but if a girl bangs just two guys in a year, she's a slut. So in response I told her that if a key opens lots of locks, then it's a master key. But if a lock is opened by lots of keys, then it's a crappy lock. That shut her up."

Check out my Amazon store for books and video and other items: www.amazon.com/shops/mr_pavlov
Check out my blog: http://metstats.wordpress.com

#82 ils

ils

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts
  • Interests:METS

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:23 AM

just finished season 4. can't believe they did bodie like that. can't wait to see what happens in season 5. i wonder what it would have been like to do a similar show based in NYC.

i've heard season 5 was cut short. can anyone just tell me in advance whether the series was wrapped nicely or abruptly? i just want to brace myself.

Everything was wrapped up nicely. The last episode even shows what's going on with the people from previous seasons.

#83 B P

B P

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:21 AM

Everything was wrapped up nicely. The last episode even shows what's going on with the people from previous seasons.

Just finished watching season 5. Throughout the entire season they had different appearances from people in previous seasons. It was a nice touch for sure.

There's just mixed emotions about how it all ended. And yet it seems its the same kind of emotion you get after every season with this show. You love that the good guys caught the bastards, but you hate that the bad guys don't always get what they deserve.

I got jury duty in about 8 hours and for some reason I decided to watch about 5 episodes straight of this show. I love cop shows/films.

I'll probably look back at older posts now, just to see all the discussion on this series here.

Anyways, next up is The Shield. I'll probably start watching that my next long vacation.
Posted Image
"I just had an argument with a girl I know. She was saying how it's unfair that if a guy bangs a different girl every week, he's a legend, but if a girl bangs just two guys in a year, she's a slut. So in response I told her that if a key opens lots of locks, then it's a master key. But if a lock is opened by lots of keys, then it's a crappy lock. That shut her up."

Check out my Amazon store for books and video and other items: www.amazon.com/shops/mr_pavlov

#84 ils

ils

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts
  • Interests:METS

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:21 AM

Anyways, next up is The Shield.

That statement made me very happy. The Shield is my personal favorite.

#85 B P

B P

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:58 PM

So I just went through the entire thread. Gladly I watch TV shows in the manner I do because as you guys experienced, every episode leaves you in suspense. I prefer to watch everything in one shot if I can, or at least multiple episodes at a time.

Anyways, it was interesting how it ended and I was thinking about something. The manner in which Lester/McNulty's plan got revealed actually helped everyone out in the long run. Why? Had Greggs not told Daniels, then he would not have told Rhonda. Rhonda doesn't find out, then the Marlo case goes to court, and Levy brings up his arguments as to the illegal police work on this case. He then gets a discovery done, and the entire case is dropped. More importantly all the bad guys get away. And all the politicians and police officers involved, get screwed over. Of course Lester did find that evidence about the leak in the courthouse which helped out the way the season ended, but had Greggs not ratted out on Lester/McNutly, it may not have made a difference.

Personally, my favorite character had to be McNulty. If not for his interesting character, then for the girls he banged while on the job. No, but seriously, I loved his involvement in season 5. It was so sick at some points. To be honest, the hardest thing to watch was when he used that homeless man and took him away from his 'home'. Even McNulty didn't feel right about it when he did.

And it's a shame, as most of the show reflects real life occurrences, that it takes some made up story to get the politicians to pony up the cash for police work. The implications of that made up story obviously affected a lot of people in the city. It seems like all that could have been avoided had promises been kept and things carried through to the end. Instead, it turned out politicians are just politicians. But as the show clearly shows, nothing in life ends up how we want it to, and things are rarely perfect.
Posted Image

#86 Nigel'sStillConfused

Nigel'sStillConfused

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:25 PM

So I just went through the entire thread. Gladly I watch TV shows in the manner I do because as you guys experienced, every episode leaves you in suspense. I prefer to watch everything in one shot if I can, or at least multiple episodes at a time.

Anyways, it was interesting how it ended and I was thinking about something. The manner in which Lester/McNulty's plan got revealed actually helped everyone out in the long run. Why? Had Greggs not told Daniels, then he would not have told Rhonda. Rhonda doesn't find out, then the Marlo case goes to court, and Levy brings up his arguments as to the illegal police work on this case. He then gets a discovery done, and the entire case is dropped. More importantly all the bad guys get away. And all the politicians and police officers involved, get screwed over. Of course Lester did find that evidence about the leak in the courthouse which helped out the way the season ended, but had Greggs not ratted out on Lester/McNutly, it may not have made a difference.

Personally, my favorite character had to be McNulty. If not for his interesting character, then for the girls he banged while on the job. No, but seriously, I loved his involvement in season 5. It was so sick at some points. To be honest, the hardest thing to watch was when he used that homeless man and took him away from his 'home'. Even McNulty didn't feel right about it when he did.

And it's a shame, as most of the show reflects real life occurrences, that it takes some made up story to get the politicians to pony up the cash for police work. The implications of that made up story obviously affected a lot of people in the city. It seems like all that could have been avoided had promises been kept and things carried through to the end. Instead, it turned out politicians are just politicians. But as the show clearly shows, nothing in life ends up how we want it to, and things are rarely perfect.

All in the game, y'all.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#87 metzol

metzol

Mod Team

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,604 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Baseball, Bratwurst

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:10 PM

Top 50 characters from The Wire.

Good read, despite the spelling errors, and a good way to revisit the greatest show ever.

http://fansided.com/...-from-the-wire/
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#88 5 aggregates

5 aggregates

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:14 AM

I've heard so many good things about this that I'll have to make a note to order all this seasons on DVD whenever incoming cash flow resumes.

To the extent that we have learned to grasp and identify with this limited life, we suffer. It's that simple. - Kornfield

#89 DW

DW

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:54 PM

I watched the entire series last summer.

Greatest. Show. Ever. Made.
#1 All-Time Profile Viewed Member.

#90 gak29

gak29

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts
  • Interests:Mets, Knicks, Jets, Rangers, Marist College, George Lucas's creative expenditures, analytic philosophy, and all facets of music

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:23 AM

David Simon was here at WSU last week. Never watched the show so I didn't go.
Posted Image

#91 ZachTavlin

ZachTavlin

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:25 AM

Honestly, I think that's Breaking Bad's title to lose now.
Posted Image

#92 goldglv17

goldglv17

Admin Team

• Root Admin
  • 15,296 posts
  • Interests:For legal reasons I can not answer this on a public forum.

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:51 AM

Finally started this series last week. Way too many "Just one more episode" nights because of it that I think my co-workers may suspect I have picked up a heroin habit the way I look some mornings. Pretty amazing stuff and most locked into a show I have been in a while. I will refrain from reading the other pages of this thread to avoid any spoilery goodness.
:(

I still have no idea what's going on....

#93 goldglv17

goldglv17

Admin Team

• Root Admin
  • 15,296 posts
  • Interests:For legal reasons I can not answer this on a public forum.

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:47 PM

Reached the halfway point of the series last night and it truly is one of my all-time favorites. I must say though that having read Alan Sepinwall's accompanying recaps has made the experience all the better. He does 2 versions, one for newbies like me to not spoil future episodes, and one for vets who can see how each episode did directly result in a future outcome.

Oh yeah and bravo for them making me initially hate season 2, only to end up loving it. Viva Ziggy!
:(

I still have no idea what's going on....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users