#1 rossie6782

rossie6782

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:43 AM

http://news.zdnet.co...tml?tag=nl.e589

Windows 7 RC1 can be downloaded now by MSDN, TechBeta and TechNet subscribers, and the general public will be able to download it on May 5. There is no limit to how many copies can be downloaded. The software will run until June 1, 2010, in what a Microsoft marketing manager described to ZDNet UK as a "try before you buy" scenario.

"There is no cap on the amount of downloads [of Windows 7 RC1]," Laurence Painell said in a prebriefing session on Wednesday. "However, we only recommend that people with a reasonable amount of IT knowledge use it."

Windows 7, the successor to Vista, brings new features such as multitouch interaction, a redesigned taskbar at the bottom of the desktop and an integrated search feature that allows the user to search across the client PC and corporate network at once. Power management has also been improved, as Microsoft has been keen to focus Windows 7 on portable computing.

When Windows 7 went into beta in January, an executive from the company told ZDNet UK that the beta version was "feature complete". However, Painell revealed on Wednesday that two features present in the beta a built-in Bluetooth audio driver and the ability to have a guest account have been dropped from the release candidate.

Painell could not explain why Windows 7 would not automatically include a Bluetooth audio driver. He suggested, however, that the omission of the guest-account feature was because Microsoft "has not seen a huge amount of uptake of it".

The omission of another feature the ability to have thumbdrives or any media other than optical disks autorun was announced by Microsoft on Tuesday. The company said this decision had been taken in the light of recent malware, such as the Conficker virus, that uses USB memory sticks as an attack vector.

Asked how this would affect, by way of example, Linux distributions that are designed to run from flash drives, Painell said that users "could still run that distribution from an optical disk".

The RC1 also has new features not found in the beta version, such as the ability to stream media between PCs in a Slingbox-like fashion. Another addition that of an XP virtual machine built into the Professional and Ultimate version of Windows 7 was announced by Microsoft on Friday.

Painell said an XP application running on Windows 7 would "look like an XP application, but you won't need a virtual PC interface running around it". He added that those applications would be able to share the clipboard and documents folder with their Windows 7 host.

has anyone downloaded this?
Posted Image

#2 goldglv17

goldglv17

Admin Team

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,296 posts
  • Interests:For legal reasons I can not answer this on a public forum.

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:00 PM

After dealing with the hell that was Vista for a few months, I have become the old man who is happy with his old technology and doesn't need to upgrade. XP for Life!
:(

I still have no idea what's going on....

#3 ils

ils

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts
  • Interests:METS

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:51 PM

http://news.zdnet.co...tml?tag=nl.e589

has anyone downloaded this?

Haha, you think we'll download a Windows OS before they get "all" the bugs out? I'll wait at least 2 years after its launch, thank you very much. I don't mind Vista for the most part, but it does do some stupid things for me.

#4 stellar

stellar

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:36 PM

It's badass.

#5 Pete Falcone

Pete Falcone

Single A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:31 PM

I like it. It's actually quite stable, though MS has cleaned up Vista's code that games run better on Vista now than they do on XP (for me, anyway.)

But yeah, I'm looking forward to Win 7. It looks promising.
#1 Cory Booker fan.

#6 Luke

Luke

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Interests:Is not a Clemens

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:53 PM

Just got myself a new Dell 17 laptop (nothing to do with my trip...haha). It has Windows 7 and, frankly, I like it.

Would someone kindly advise the difference between 32 and 64 bit? This desktop is 32...the new laptop is 64...means nada to me!
Posted Image

LET'S GO METS!!!!

#7 Doc

Doc

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,294 posts
  • Interests:Family, movies, graphic novels, music, Mets, Knicks, cycling, and shoveling snow.

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:19 PM

Just got myself a new Dell 17 laptop (nothing to do with my trip...haha). It has Windows 7 and, frankly, I like it.

Would someone kindly advise the difference between 32 and 64 bit? This desktop is 32...the new laptop is 64...means nada to me!

That's the number of mice that are inside generating power by running in those little cages. So in essence you just made PETA twice as mad at you.

We Live. We Learn. We Teach. Posted Image
"Living the dream, Baby."--Mr Met.

#8 Luke

Luke

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Interests:Is not a Clemens

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:25 PM

That's the number of mice that are inside generating power by running in those little cages. So in essence you just made PETA twice as mad at you.

Haha - actually, I bought it now for this monstrosity of a case I've just picked up - 42,000 pages and growing. I figured it would be easier to upload the Depositions onto the computer than to lug all of the 100+ volumes around with me...working so far.

As for PETA, there is one major difference between you and I. You experiment with medications, therapies and electrodes on small furry animals. I just look at Lottie (who looks bewildered) as I do dry-runs of closing addresses!
Posted Image

LET'S GO METS!!!!

#9 rossie6782

rossie6782

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:01 AM

The difference between 32 and 64 bit is the architecture of the processor. The main advantage is the ability to utilize more then 4 gigs of ram in a 64 bit world. Just remember, you will need to buy / download the 64 bit versions of software.
Posted Image

#10 Metsfan980

Metsfan980

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:08 AM

The difference between 32 and 64 bit is the architecture of the processor. The main advantage is the ability to utilize more then 4 gigs of ram in a 64 bit world. Just remember, you will need to buy / download the 64 bit versions of software.

I have 9 GB of RAM in my computer, but I don't think I can even utilize that much yet (even with 64-bit).
Posted Image
Love baseball? Sign up for the THR OOTP 10 league!

#11 rossie6782

rossie6782

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:47 PM

I have 9 GB of RAM in my computer, but I don't think I can even utilize that much yet (even with 64-bit).

Unless you have home basic, that's not a windows 7 issue. The chart below is what win 7 supports for ram in a 64 bit architecture:
Windows 7 Ultimate
192 GB

Windows 7 Enterprise
192 GB

Windows 7 Professional
192 GB

Windows 7 Home Premium
16 GB

Windows 7 Home Basic
8 GB

Windows 7 Starter
2 GB

Of course, this doesn't address applications which don't utilize the full functionality of a 64-bit environment...
Posted Image

#12 rossie6782

rossie6782

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:51 PM

Btw I absolutely love windows 7. I am still an XP fan, and really wish i could be in shop that did development in the linux world (ubuntu is absolutely fabulous), but this is a huge step in the right direction for ms. Considering the flop that was vista, i think win 7 has the opportunity to be the next major version for ms... taking over XP.

So kudos .
Posted Image

#13 ils

ils

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts
  • Interests:METS

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:55 PM

Unless you have home basic, that's not a windows 7 issue. The chart below is what win 7 supports for ram in a 64 bit architecture:
Windows 7 Ultimate
192 GB

Windows 7 Enterprise
192 GB

Windows 7 Professional
192 GB

Windows 7 Home Premium
16 GB

Windows 7 Home Basic
8 GB

Windows 7 Starter
2 GB

Of course, this doesn't address applications which don't utilize the full functionality of a 64-bit environment...

Crap, I just bought a computer with 193 GB.

#14 B P

B P

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:24 PM

193 GB of RAM? I find that hard to believe.

Btw Windows 7 is great. I loved Vista, and love Windows 7. There isn't a huge difference visually speaking (unless you're jumping from XP to 7). There are a few things that I wish they added more options for, and other things that annoy me that they got rid of, but for the most part it's pretty stable OS.
Posted Image
"I just had an argument with a girl I know. She was saying how it's unfair that if a guy bangs a different girl every week, he's a legend, but if a girl bangs just two guys in a year, she's a slut. So in response I told her that if a key opens lots of locks, then it's a master key. But if a lock is opened by lots of keys, then it's a crappy lock. That shut her up."

Check out my Amazon store for books and video and other items: www.amazon.com/shops/mr_pavlov
Check out my blog: http://metstats.wordpress.com

#15 jfsportz

jfsportz

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:41 AM

LOL :P

Seriously though, unless you worked for DARPA when would you ever need that much memory, haha.

Like comedy? Feeling down and want to cheer yourself up? Then comedicast is for you! http://comedicast.libsyn.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image

(Avatar and signature photos credit to MetsBlog, in the event Cerrone comes after me.)

#16 rossie6782

rossie6782

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:04 PM

193 GB of RAM? I find that hard to believe.

:cpu_punch:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users