• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 gak29

gak29

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts
  • Interests:Mets, Knicks, Jets, Rangers, Marist College, George Lucas's creative expenditures, analytic philosophy, and all facets of music

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:56 PM

I still have no idea what's going on....
Posted Image

#22 goldglv17

goldglv17

Admin Team

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,296 posts
  • Interests:For legal reasons I can not answer this on a public forum.

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:58 PM

Welcome to my sig!
:(

#23 gak29

gak29

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts
  • Interests:Mets, Knicks, Jets, Rangers, Marist College, George Lucas's creative expenditures, analytic philosophy, and all facets of music

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:10 PM

Welcome to my sig!

This is déja vu. I know I've said that before and someone put it in their sig....
Posted Image

#24 Tool34

Tool34

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:51 PM

maybe this will help

from rotoworld

Explaining what happened when Jose Reyes put up a fight when asked to leave Tuesday's game with a hamstring injury, manager Jerry Manuel joked: "I told him next time he does that I'm going to get my blade out and cut him. I'm a gangster. You go gangster on me, I'm going to have to get you. You do that again, I'm going to cut you right on the field."
Manuel has been on the job for less than a week, but that has to be the leader in the clubhouse for managerial Quote of the Year. He was known as a relatively laid back manager while with the White Sox, but has apparently been sharpening his blades and taking gangster lessons since then. Reyes returned to the lineup Wednesday and went 3-for-5 with a steal, three runs and zero incidents of going gangster.

that and calling that group of reporters the gangsta section during his introduction as manager has me lovin jerry manuel more than ever.
Posted Image

#25 mikevailrules

mikevailrules

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:56 PM

. Anyone who has ever seen another person tortured does not think it is entertaining to glorify it.

Tim

Ok, I'll bite

Have you?
QUOTE (ils @ Sep 1 2008, 03:21 PM) *
MVR is 100% correct.

ils, on 23 August 2009 - 03:47 PM, said:
I don't get it

#26 Tool34

Tool34

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:01 PM

and to answer the question asked by this thread...i know i am...and so is Doc.
Posted Image

#27 goldglv17

goldglv17

Admin Team

• Root Admin
  • 15,296 posts
  • Interests:For legal reasons I can not answer this on a public forum.

Posted 20 June 2008 - 12:53 AM

Naughty LAnguage

:(

#28 Luke

Luke

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Interests:Is not a Clemens

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:53 AM

Jerry Manuel joked: "I told him next time he does that I'm going to get my blade out and cut him. I'm a gangster. You go gangster on me, I'm going to have to get you. You do that again, I'm going to cut you right on the field."

I watched almost all of Jerry's press conference the other day - he's great.

This is close to the silliest 'controversy' I've heard.

FFS - I'm a gangsta!!!!
Posted Image

LET'S GO METS!!!!

#29 Game Six

Game Six

Mod Team

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:12 AM

There are times when I allow myself to get bothered by certain types of un-PC remarks, but Jerry has quickly gotten my vote of confidence. He jokes, he alters the lineup, he discusses his baseball philosophy and talks about the hopes and desires of baseball fans in NYC. He is the man.

#30 tabes

tabes

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts
  • Interests:Mets (of course), all types of music, Giants, Sabres

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:37 AM

There are times when I allow myself to get bothered by certain types of un-PC remarks, but Jerry has quickly gotten my vote of confidence. He jokes, he alters the lineup, he discusses his baseball philosophy and talks about the hopes and desires of baseball fans in NYC. He is the man.

A couple of days behind us, I agree. If he gets the players to relax a little and start playing better, and does not allow them to run him over (stepping up to Reyes was a good first sign), then I'm all for it as long as the team starts winning.....
When the change was made uptown
And the Big Man joined the band....

-Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

#31 birtelcom

birtelcom

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:54 AM

With the dark-rimmed glasses, the graying goatee, the lined face, he certainly has the "wise old jazz legend" look going for him. He has the air of a sage beatnik philosopher in the dugout -- very cool.

#32 Nigel'sStillConfused

Nigel'sStillConfused

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:29 AM

With the dark-rimmed glasses, the graying goatee, the lined face, he certainly has the "wise old jazz legend" look going for him. He has the air of a sage beatnik philosopher in the dugout -- very cool.

True that!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 Timezkware Tim

Timezkware Tim

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:39 AM

Ok, I'll bite

Have you?

Yes, I've seen people tortured. I didn't grow up in the suburbs, sheltered from urban reality, I grew up in a place where women were beaten up severely or thrown out of cars at 8 MPH because they held back on their pimp. Try to imagine hearing a woman screaming as she is beaten up. Now try to imagine this being part of every day life out your bedroom window for years. I saw a guy get murdered twice (yes, two different guys). I worked in an industry largely controlled by organized crime until 1987 and had to report directly to people so scary that when they were pissed off about something, and you walked in the room, and suddendly looked at you, you would crap your pants with fear right there.

Watching movies like the Godfather and Goodfellas still scare the heck out of me and make me squirm.

I'm not weird about it or anything. There are SNL skits about dumb soldiers in a foxhole that are hilarious and get me ROLF. I can imagine that if someone lost their husband or son in a war, or had to kill people on the front lines themselves that they wouldn't find the humor in those skits. For me it's just a personal thing; I was just too close to real gansters seeing a part of life that no one should ever see for it to be even mildly humorous. When millionaire baseball coaches talk about going "gansta" on people and "cutting him up", it presents a different image for me. After you've seen someone bleed to death, this stuff isn't funny; and as you know by now, I think almost anything can be a joke.

In 1987 I testified to a grand jury about a shakedown I was involved in (I managed a business, we were the victims), Special Federal prosecutor Rudolf Giuliani asked me to describe how executives from the Teamsters would "collect advertising funds" as they threatened our lives and vandalized out business. At one point, I was getting called at home from these people (union officials). My wife was so scared she wanted to move from New York. It wasn't the movies; we were scared. Guliani successfully sent a lot of mobsters to jail, which ultimately got him the Mayor's job.

I have yet to see one episode of The Sopranos. I hear it's great, but that stuff just gives me the Willies.

Tim
IT'S TIME FOR THE METS.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

. Warning: Don't click here.

#34 Nigel'sStillConfused

Nigel'sStillConfused

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:54 AM

Yes, I've seen people tortured. I didn't grow up in the suburbs, sheltered from urban reality, I grew up in a place where women were beaten up severely or thrown out of cars at 8 MPH because they held back on their pimp. Try to imagine hearing a woman screaming as she is beaten up. Now try to imagine this being part of every day life out your bedroom window for years. I saw a guy get murdered twice (yes, two different guys). I worked in an industry largely controlled by organized crime until 1987 and had to report directly to people so scary that when they were pissed off about something, and you walked in the room, and suddendly looked at you, you would crap your pants with fear right there.

Watching movies like the Godfather and Goodfellas still scare the heck out of me and make me squirm.

I'm not weird about it or anything. There are SNL skits about dumb soldiers in a foxhole that are hilarious. I can imagine that if someone lost their husband or son in a war, or had to kill people on the front lines themselves that they wouldn't find the humor in those skits. For me it's just a personal thing; I was just too close to real gansters seeing a part of life that no one should ever see for it to be even mildly humerous when millionaire baseball coaches talk about going "gansta" on people and "cutting him up". After you've seen someone bleed to death, this isn't funny; and as you know by now, I think almost anything can be a joke.

I have yet to see one episode of The Sopranos. I hear it's great, but that stuff just gives me the Willies.

Tim

I understand where you are coming from. I spent a few years dabbling in some criminal defense work - I only handled white collar and financial fraud cases but my Firm had handled some high profile organized crime matters through the years. And I've also worked on many cases that involve money laundering One of my colleagues spent years prosecuting domestic violence cases. I still am fine with what Manuel said (and that is in part because part of the way I deal with some of the grim reality of the work is wallowing in gallows humor) but obviously its highly personal, and people will react differently.

P.S - Interesting regarding Goodfellas. My first real law job was working as a summer intern at a Federal prosecutor's office, and our first assignment (from a bureau chief who is now a judge) was to watch Goodfellas (I had seen it before). But the reason we were so tasked was not to glorify O.C., but to drive the point home that, as far as films go, Goodfellas more or less accurately depicted the bloody reality of organized crime, rather than the Shakesperean overtones of the Godfather series. He probably would have said same about Sopranos. (Although I think prosecutors generally loved the show.)
Posted Image

#35 Timezkware Tim

Timezkware Tim

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:14 AM

I understand where you are coming from. I spent a few years dabbling in some criminal defense work - I only handled white collar and financial fraud cases but my Firm had handled some high profile organized crime matters through the years. And I've also worked on many cases that involve money laundering One of my colleagues spent years prosecuting domestic violence cases. I still am fine with what Manuel said (and that is in part because part of the way I deal with some of the grim reality of the work is wallowing in gallows humor) but obviously its highly personal, and people will react differently.

P.S - Interesting regarding Goodfellas. My first real law job was working as a summer intern at a Federal prosecutor's office, and our first assignment (from a bureau chief who is now a judge) was to watch Goodfellas (I had seen it before). But the reason we were so tasked was not to glorify O.C., but to drive the point home that, as far as films go, Goodfellas more or less accurately depicted the bloody reality of organized crime, rather than the Shakesperean overtones of the Godfather series. He probably would have said same about Sopranos. (Although I think prosecutors generally loved the show.)

Goodfellas was a GREAT movie, but it was so close to reality, it scared the doo-doo out of me big time. There are people like the Joe Pesci character out there that are so scary that you want to quietly slip out of the room when they come in.

The Union guy who was shaking us down wanted $500 a week "for now", based on our garbage (they estimated what our sales were based on how much garbage we put on the curb at night). When the owners refused to pay, Services like food, linen and other supplies stopped. When we called all those companies (and their competitors), they all said they were "too busy to handle our account" (Teamsters drive all those trucks). Then the owner started washing his own tablecloths and buying his own food. He wouldn't give in (Japanese businessmen).

One morning, I got to the restaurant on Lafayette St, and the truck had 4 flats and the windshield smashed. As I entered the restaurant, the phone started ringing. This was eerie since there were no cell phones yet. I felt like I was being watched. It was Carmine D. again, asking me to talk some sense into the owner. He ended the call by saying that Union Square was a dangerous area and we should watch where we park. Then Carmine started calling me at home. I have no idea how he got my private home number, but I was scared to death.

One funny thing that happened (it was scary at the time) was when we first opened the restaurant. A guy showed up one day and put a cigarette machine in the breezway. The owner was there and said, "There must be a mistake; I didn't order a machine, and don't want one", The workman said that it was his machine, and it was staying. The owner was shocked, and thought the guy was nuts. When he called the landlord, the landlord told him to leave those guys alone, they get to put a machine wherever they want.

At the time, the mob controlled every cash business there was (restaurtants, vending machines, concrete, etc) where you couldn't track the actual sales for tax collection. Every time you saw a vending machine in a hallway before 1987, it didn't belong to the store you were in. That's why store owners were always pissed when you lost your money in the machine. They were refunding 50 cents that would never see since some stranger would show up once a week to "service" the machine without any contact with the store, even though these machines were IN the stores.

Tim
IT'S TIME FOR THE METS.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

. Warning: Don't click here.

#36 metsfanohio

metsfanohio

Hall Of Fame Caliber

• Members
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:55 AM

A couple of days behind us, I agree. If he gets the players to relax a little and start playing better, and does not allow them to run him over (stepping up to Reyes was a good first sign), then I'm all for it as long as the team starts winning.....

i think any credit for any players acting or feeling relaxed is a direct correlation to not having to field the same questions day in and day out by the media about willie.

willie might not have been a good manager, bernazard might be a rat, minaya may have screwed the roster, but it is the press that is at the forefront of most so called "leaks", it is the press that is at the forefront of making players uncomfortable and guarded and it is the press that is at the forefront of shaping a vast majority of fans opinions, the latter often done with a definitive lack of facts or sometimes even totally ficticious, but yet construed to be the gospel.
Please visit, join and contribute @ http://sports.groups...kMetsClubhouse/

#37 mikevailrules

mikevailrules

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 12:10 PM

subway-

interesting stuff

appreciate you sharing
QUOTE (ils @ Sep 1 2008, 03:21 PM) *
MVR is 100% correct.

ils, on 23 August 2009 - 03:47 PM, said:
I don't get it

#38 Ultramets

Ultramets

Single A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:05 PM

subway-

interesting stuff

appreciate you sharing

+1

Thanks for sharing, SubwayTim.
Posted Image

#39 amazinz5

amazinz5

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:12 PM

I'm not weird about it or anything. There are SNL skits about dumb soldiers in a foxhole that are hilarious and get me ROLF. I can imagine that if someone lost their husband or son in a war, or had to kill people on the front lines themselves that they wouldn't find the humor in those skits. For me it's just a personal thing; I was just too close to real gansters seeing a part of life that no one should ever see for it to be even mildly humorous. When millionaire baseball coaches talk about going "gansta" on people and "cutting him up", it presents a different image for me. After you've seen someone bleed to death, this stuff isn't funny; and as you know by now, I think almost anything can be a joke.

In 1987 I testified to a grand jury about a shakedown I was involved in (I managed a business, we were the victims), Special Federal prosecutor Rudolf Giuliani asked me to describe how executives from the Teamsters would "collect advertising funds" as they threatened our lives and vandalized out business. At one point, I was getting called at home from these people (union officials). My wife was so scared she wanted to move from New York. It wasn't the movies; we were scared. Guliani successfully sent a lot of mobsters to jail, which ultimately got him the Mayor's job.

Tim

good..."willy" has a negative connotation now

#40 DW

DW

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:13 PM

good..."willy" has a negative connotation now

I thought that when I read it too lol
#1 All-Time Profile Viewed Member.