#1 metzol

metzol

Mod Team

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,604 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Baseball, Bratwurst

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:11 PM

As you may know, the worst thing you can talk about on a date is your job. (A close second is hockey followed by the crazy dream you had last night.)
So instead of boring your date to tears, get it out of your system here and bore your fellow posters to tears.
This thread is an ongoing journal about your day at the office, for better or for worse.

I played Super Bowl hooky today. I may extend that hooky into tomorrow. Ya know, to make it look real and not a Super Bowl personal day.
The truth is my job is making me miserable and sinking me into a deep funk so I'm taking a couple of breather days for my mental sanity.
I wonder if any of you recall a couple of years ago I asked a doctor to prescribe me an anti-anxiety pill. I got sick of it after two days. It was right around this time of year and I'm feeling it again.
Blaaah.

87 days of class until summer.

Anybody hiring out there? I have a bachelor's in English and will soon start a Master's program in Literacy. I'm strong too, so if you need me to load trucks or whatnot, I'm your man.
:crazy:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Big Country Griff

Big Country Griff

Triple A

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:13 PM

Anyone hiring an accountant? Might as well get my name out there if zol is too. I hate my job right now, not so much the work as the bosses, and am already starting to look for a new job.
Posted Image

#3 metzol

metzol

Mod Team

• Moderators
  • 10,604 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:14 PM

Anyone hiring an accountant? Might as well get my name out there if zol is too. I hate my job right now, not so much the work as the bosses, and am already starting to look for a new job.

Is this the new job that you just started?

#4 metzol

metzol

Mod Team

• Moderators
  • 10,604 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:16 PM

The other day as I stood at my classroom door and observed the utter mayhem taking place in the hall. A student asked me, "Mr L, how can you do this job?" I've been asked this before and I always have the stock answer of loving kids and intangible rewards, etc. But this time I looked at this kid said, "I don't know."

#5 Big Country Griff

Big Country Griff

Triple A

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:19 PM

Yup, already disenfranchised with the job because my bosses seem to have only hired me to make it so they can show up around noon. They do not teach me anything, just give me old files and tell me to copy what was done in the past, and then tell me I did things wrong because I followed the old stuff and it was done wrong. Nothing new there, but for the travel and the salary, and especially the way that they talked up the job, what I got wasn't even in the same sport, much less the same ballpark as what I expected.
Posted Image

#6 goldglv17

goldglv17

Admin Team

• Root Admin
  • 15,296 posts
  • Interests:For legal reasons I can not answer this on a public forum.

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:43 PM

Much like zol, I was a Super Bowl casualty to work today. You and my wife should really talk. This is the worst shape I have seen her in at this point in any year she has taught. twice in a week she has left the school in tears because of her level of frustration. Example today: A student vomitted all over himself and refused to get out of his desk, so Lisa called the nurse who came up and said "I have a workshop to get to so I can't help" They couldn't get the kid out of his clothes because he puked all over his jacket and it was far too cold in the school to be without a jacket so Lisa had to clean the puke off the outside of the jacket and just deal with the stench for the rest of the day. She too has began considering another career. She is looking into the process of being a realtor. Considering how long we were on the market, she is an expert.
:(

I still have no idea what's going on....

#7 gak29

gak29

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts
  • Interests:Mets, Knicks, Jets, Rangers, Marist College, George Lucas's creative expenditures, analytic philosophy, and all facets of music

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:01 PM

Pansies. I had 4 classes and band for 3 hours. Did I take a "Super Bowl Day?" NO!!!! I toughed it out!!!!
Posted Image

#8 DW

DW

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:04 PM

Yea. I toughed it out in Bagelland. Wusses.
#1 All-Time Profile Viewed Member.

#9 goldglv17

goldglv17

Admin Team

• Root Admin
  • 15,296 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:05 PM

I just couldn't handle a day of people coming in asking for Peyton Manning jerseys.

#10 DW

DW

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:08 PM

So I just found out were getting a new menu with like 10 new sandwiches. Its so dumb. Some of the sandwiches are just "turkey and swiss on white" or "ham and cheddar on whole wheat". I guess it means were getting rid of our Create Your Own Sandwich, which is good I guess. But theres so much new stuff too learn. Ugh.
#1 All-Time Profile Viewed Member.

#11 stellar

stellar

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:15 PM

Banking is always fun. I can't think of anything more exciting than being accused of stealing people's money, as well as being a racist.

#12 gak29

gak29

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts
  • Interests:Mets, Knicks, Jets, Rangers, Marist College, George Lucas's creative expenditures, analytic philosophy, and all facets of music

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:19 PM

I just couldn't handle a day of people coming in asking for Peyton Manning jerseys.

Wah, wah, wah....I had to digest Aristotle, Marx, and Immanuel "M$I^$&(^$( F*&^*(&*(&" Kant, and then play a trumpet for 3 hours. You know what that feels like? You're out of breath and you're mouth feels like it's about to fall off.

So stop complaining, foo!!! :P
Posted Image

#13 Pete Falcone

Pete Falcone

Single A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:20 PM

I worked 13 hours on Super Sunday trying to get feeds ready for local programming. It's shifts like this that make me wish we had more freelancers to back us up.

BTW, if you're Photoshop savvy, we're looking for freelancers who can edit video and animate in AE as well. 15-25/hr to start! Can lead to FT if you're lucky.
#1 Cory Booker fan.

#14 IamTheIan

IamTheIan

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:22 AM

Job? What's that?

Okay. I do technically have a job now. I get paid $25 a game to be in the Pep Band. (Does that make me a professional musician? :P ) My "job" freaking rules.
YGB09!

#15 Timezkware Tim

Timezkware Tim

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,645 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:57 AM

OMG gak, these guys are such a bunch of wussies. Wussies. "I just couldn't handle a day of people coming in asking for Peyton Manning jerseys" :traurig001: :fever: :vomit-smiley-007: HAHAHAHA

Back to zol's original post...

On the 14th I start a new job. I'm very excited. It took me 3 months of interviewing and turning down 4 jobs before I got this one. I didn't give in when the other offers came in (they were either not enough money, too long a commute, or too many hours, etc). It was quite a commitment, but I held out for the job I really wanted. Start at the top, and apply. You never know. When you don't get any bites, lower your expectations a bit. You would have been the coolest teacher if I were 35 years younger, dude (assuming you didn't bring your surgery stories to class). GO get that job. You're better than the other candidates for the job that you want and you know it.

Tim
IT'S TIME FOR THE METS.

Posted Image

. Warning: Don't click here.

#16 goldglv17

goldglv17

Admin Team

• Root Admin
  • 15,296 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:02 AM

OMG gak, these guys are such a bunch of wussies. Wussies. "I just couldn't handle a day of people coming in asking for Peyton Manning jerseys" :fever: :vomit-smiley-007: :traurig001: HAHAHAHA

Back to zol's original post...

On the 14th I start a new job. I'm very excited. It took me 3 months of interviewing and turning down 4 jobs before I got this one. I didn't give in when the other offers came in (they were either not enough money, too long a commute, or too many hours, etc). It was quite a commitment, but I held out for the job I really wanted. Start at the top, and apply. You never know. When you don't get any bites, lower your expectations a bit. You would have been the coolest teacher if I were 35 years younger, dude (assuming you didn't bring your surgery stories to class). GO get that job. You're better than the other candidates for the job that you want and you know it.

Tim

On a Segway that is what? 2.5 miles :neenerneener:

Good advice though.

#17 AddyHawk

AddyHawk

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Interests:All sorts of ill "stuff"

Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:08 AM

I failed out of community college over a year ago due to a level of immaturity and lack of motivation I had at the time. (My own fault I know.) I joined the airforce, only to be given the choice to change jobs and become a hummer ridin gun jockey or go home because my base didn't need networkers. (40,000 job cuts.) So after that I had nothing to take home with me. No formal education. So here I am. In debt, no job, no clue what to do. I'm in the same place I was when I graduated high school in 2002. No more complaining for any of you. I'd kill for a career.

. . . Long night.
Posted Image

Leave it to the mailman to deliver....

#18 5 aggregates

5 aggregates

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:27 AM

I failed out of community college over a year ago due to a level of immaturity and lack of motivation I had at the time. (My own fault I know.) I joined the airforce, only to be given the choice to change jobs and become a hummer ridin gun jockey or go home because my base didn't need networkers. (40,000 job cuts.) So after that I had nothing to take home with me. No formal education. So here I am. In debt, no job, no clue what to do. I'm in the same place I was when I graduated high school in 2002. No more complaining for any of you. I'd kill for a career.
. . . Long night.

Adam,

I'm not the brightest bulb in the string, but I know enough to realize that when people wax nostalgic about their early twenties, their memory is often quite selective. Not the best time in my life, I can tell you. Lots of uncertainty, frustration, regret. I'm no Nostradamus, but I think you'll do fine.

If you're really feeling desperate, you can send a resume to the people I work for now (PM me if you're interested). Feel free to use me as a reference. Not sure how you'd manage that commute, though.

Hang tough, man.

Oh, and if you really have to kill for a career, just remember that Gak is your closest target of opportunity.

Cheers,

To the extent that we have learned to grasp and identify with this limited life, we suffer. It's that simple. - Kornfield

#19 metzol

metzol

Mod Team

• Moderators
  • 10,604 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:47 AM

Pansies. I had 4 classes and band for 3 hours. Did I take a "Super Bowl Day?" NO!!!! I toughed it out!!!!

Wah, wah, wah....I had to digest Aristotle, Marx, and Immanuel "M$I^$&(^$( F*&^*(&*(&" Kant, and then play a trumpet for 3 hours. You know what that feels like? You're out of breath and you're mouth feels like it's about to fall off.

So stop complaining, foo!!! :P

I truly hope your joking. Reading classical philosophy and playing music, hmmmm. I would do that in my free time.

#20 metzol

metzol

Mod Team

• Moderators
  • 10,604 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:48 AM

Much like zol, I was a Super Bowl casualty to work today. You and my wife should really talk. This is the worst shape I have seen her in at this point in any year she has taught. twice in a week she has left the school in tears because of her level of frustration. Example today: A student vomitted all over himself and refused to get out of his desk, so Lisa called the nurse who came up and said "I have a workshop to get to so I can't help" They couldn't get the kid out of his clothes because he puked all over his jacket and it was far too cold in the school to be without a jacket so Lisa had to clean the puke off the outside of the jacket and just deal with the stench for the rest of the day. She too has began considering another career. She is looking into the process of being a realtor. Considering how long we were on the market, she is an expert.

Oh man. This would all be funny if it weren't so tragic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users