2 replies to this topic

#1 birtelcom

birtelcom

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,793 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

The Knicks failed to sign Jeremy Lin not because of the money but because of the same neurotic dysfunction that has driven the Knicks franchise for years. The first two years of Lin's deal were in line with the value of a decent, not a star, point guard (as the brillinat stat guy Nate Silver has pointed out, top-10 NBA point guarsds are probably worth $20 million a year, and even middling point guards are worth many millions. Thh big issue has been that third year money and the effect on the Knicks' luxury tax. But if Lin turns out not to be worth it in a couple of years, he wil be a tradeable commodity before that tax kicks in. There are always teams who would not have to pay the luxury tax looking for a guy in the last year of his contract that allows them to clear cap room. The Knicks know this but chose to ignore it either because somehow the owner felt "dissed" by Lin or because Jeremy's style doesn't mesh with the Carmelo-is-everything plan. Lin is a huge risk, with only two weeks of star-level performance, but it was a risk the upside of which was a championship level team and the downside of which was -- well, not much different than where they are today. Anyway, this makes it a lot easier for me to do what I was tempted to do anyway -- switch allegiances to the team of my native borough.

#2 gak29

gak29

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts
  • Interests:Mets, Knicks, Jets, Rangers, Marist College, George Lucas's creative expenditures, analytic philosophy, and all facets of music

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

Listen, I'm sad that we will never know beyond last Feb/Mar what Linsanity-as-a-Knicks-thing was. But it's a small sample size! I hate Dolan as much as the next guy, but if one thing the Reyes thing taught me, is that my av players can leave. I was stupid to cry over Reyes, so I'm not gonna do the same or Lin.

I do support your inclination to root for the Nets, though, birt. I don't want to see that team flounder (even considering the controversy around the arena), and a move into NYC seems like suicide.
Posted Image

#3 Miz

Miz

Admin Team

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,268 posts
  • Interests:Mets Baseball. Giants Football. Islander Hockey. Knicks Basketball.<br /><br />Video Gamer, and into fitness. Work out 5 times a week. <br /><br />and zol tastes like Cherry Bubbleliscious

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

there were so many advantages to matching that offer. Knicks will be over the Lux Tax in 3 years anyway. Dolan said he felt slighted by Lin. Well then maybe Woodson shouldnt have opened his mouth when he said the Knicks would match any offer.

Lin getting paid wasnt his fault. Rockets heard that and said...Oh Yeah, then match this. Of course Lin is going to sign the offer sheet, after all, he was hearing that the Knicks were going to match no matter what. Dolan is a moron. He is ruining this franchise and making it a joke. . I am sure there are going to be a lot more people jumping to Brooklyn in the next couple of years, because as good as Carmelo is, this team is not going to go far in the playoffs, and maybe with the Nets getting Howard, if it happens, they may not even make the playoffs.

Knicks could of did a sign and trade, gotten draft picks, gotten something from Houston. They got diddly squat. Dolan is a complete disaster
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users