5 replies to this topic

#1 Timezkware Tim

Timezkware Tim

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,645 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

I know we kicked this around before, but our team (for those of you who believe in this) has the potential for more clutch hitting than past teams. By clutch, I don't just mean hitting with RISP, but all the timely hits that can turn around a game. Thole, Murph, Baxter, and Hairston are those types of contact hitters. If they can bring some consistency to the plate and get their BA up, the Mets would be able to really manufacture some runs, especially since we are not a base stealing team anymore.

Tim
IT'S TIME FOR THE METS.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

. Warning: Don't click here.

#2 birtelcom

birtelcom

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,842 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

I know we kicked this around before, but our team (for those of you who believe in this) has the potential for more clutch hitting than past teams. By clutch, I don't just mean hitting with RISP, but all the timely hits that can turn around a game. Thole, Murph, Baxter, and Hairston are those types of contact hitters. If they can bring some consistency to the plate and get their BA up, the Mets would be able to really manufacture some runs, especially since we are not a base stealing team anymore.

Tim

Thole has been an on-base machine. Maybe he should be batting leadoff, move Ruben back down in the order?

#3 Timezkware Tim

Timezkware Tim

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,645 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:10 AM

birt, how rare is a catcher batting leadoff? (only you would know).

Tim
IT'S TIME FOR THE METS.

Posted Image

#4 birtelcom

birtelcom

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,842 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

birt, how rare is a catcher batting leadoff? (only you would know).

Tim

Since 1918 there have been 900 major league games in which a catcher started the game in the leadoff spot in the batting order. So on average it happens only nine or ten times a season somewhere in the majors. Half of those 900 starts have been by one guy, Jason Kendall.

The Mets have started a catcher as their leadoff hitter exactly once if franchise history. On May 2, 1963, Choo Choo Coleman (career batting average at the time was about .219 and his career OBP was about .270) had just a single in 5 PAs as the leadoff hitter, but the Mets won 10-3.

#5 Timezkware Tim

Timezkware Tim

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,645 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:16 AM

I love learning new mets trivia. There's always something. Thx.

Tim
IT'S TIME FOR THE METS.

Posted Image

#6 metsfanohio

metsfanohio

Hall Of Fame Caliber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

and here is another one......in the series just completed against the marlins, the mets were on the receiving end of 4 consecutive walks by 4 different pitchers in the same inning.......first time ever in mlb history that that happened.
Please visit, join and contribute @ http://sports.groups...kMetsClubhouse/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users