Sorry Jose, But that Stadium is Hideous

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Doc

Doc

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,294 posts
  • Interests:Family, movies, graphic novels, music, Mets, Knicks, cycling, and shoveling snow.

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

I thought the uniforms were bad, but at least they can be changed. The new Marlins park is ugly both outside and in. It is also completely empty on opening day. Citi may have had some flaws when it first opened, but at least it was beautiful and looked like a place to play baseball. Do they not have bricks in Florida?
We Live. We Learn. We Teach. Posted Image
"Living the dream, Baby."--Mr Met.

#2 gak29

gak29

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts
  • Interests:Mets, Knicks, Jets, Rangers, Marist College, George Lucas's creative expenditures, analytic philosophy, and all facets of music

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:21 AM

I thought the uniforms were bad, but at least they can be changed. The new Marlins park is ugly both outside and in. It is also completely empty on opening day. Citi may have had some flaws when it first opened, but at least it was beautiful and looked like a place to play baseball. Do they not have bricks in Florida?

I'm sorry, but I so disagree. I love that the Marlins are embracing an over the top image. I mean, we got 30 teams in the MLB. Wouldn't it be redundant to have another brick backstop and another retro ballpark? Or have more uniforms that have navy blue and red?

I mean, I get that it's not "baseball-y," but I think that's misguided. That aesthetic is great, but it was made during a time when only 10 cities had major league baseball. I mean, seriously, now we have 30 teams/27 cities. From all over different American cultures. Let's loosen up and allow multiple aesthetics. Over-the-top-Godfather-II-Havana-esque Miami should be one of them.

The ONE thing I admire about the NFL, is that they do that. Each team has its own unique aesthetic.
Posted Image

#3 BelieveinNYM

BelieveinNYM

Triple A

• Blogger
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Doc. The place looks like one big, gigantic acid trip and that hideous structure out in left center is the icing on the cake. Puke-fest galore.
Posted Image
The night all was Wright in my life!

#4 StrawberryFieldsForever

StrawberryFieldsForever

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Reading obsessively, general family stuff/my boys, wife, and my dog, digging things up/archaeology, ornithology, cricket, movies, Mets.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

Miami is a pretty garish city, and yes, I have been there, twice, absolutely hated it both times, in fact the whole state of Florida is becoming just one giant theme park, so I'd say the new Marlins place is probably quite in character with it's surroundings. Though I'm surprised to hear that it was completely empty on opening day, suggesting that there was - literally - not a single person at the game, when the official attendance was given as a 36,000 sell out!!! Be interesting to see the attendances on normal game days, if they still only get the handful of people they usually get, then it will very quickly be seen as an embarrassing mistake.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#5 ils

ils

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts
  • Interests:METS

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

I'm sorry, but I so disagree. I love that the Marlins are embracing an over the top image. I mean, we got 30 teams in the MLB. Wouldn't it be redundant to have another brick backstop and another retro ballpark? Or have more uniforms that have navy blue and red?

I mean, I get that it's not "baseball-y," but I think that's misguided. That aesthetic is great, but it was made during a time when only 10 cities had major league baseball. I mean, seriously, now we have 30 teams/27 cities. From all over different American cultures. Let's loosen up and allow multiple aesthetics. Over-the-top-Godfather-II-Havana-esque Miami should be one of them.

The ONE thing I admire about the NFL, is that they do that. Each team has its own unique aesthetic.

I agree with you. Every damn stadium nowadays looks the same. I love their homerun celebration too.

#6 gak29

gak29

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts
  • Interests:Mets, Knicks, Jets, Rangers, Marist College, George Lucas's creative expenditures, analytic philosophy, and all facets of music

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:59 AM

I agree with you.

Don't worry. That'll wash off.
Posted Image

#7 Metsfan980

Metsfan980

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

This stadium is better than their last stadium.

I think that's the most important thing to keep in mind.
Posted Image
Love baseball? Sign up for the THR OOTP 10 league!

#8 StrawberryFieldsForever

StrawberryFieldsForever

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Reading obsessively, general family stuff/my boys, wife, and my dog, digging things up/archaeology, ornithology, cricket, movies, Mets.

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:08 AM

This stadium is better than their last stadium.

I think that's the most important thing to keep in mind.

Hope for their sake they don't see this again (please note, this pic was taken DURING a game, not half an hour before or after, there seems to be, what, a couple of hundred people there? )

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#9 metzol

metzol

Mod Team

• Moderators
  • 10,604 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Baseball, Bratwurst

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

I'm with gak on this one. I like the new stadium simply because it's unique. The stadium is unique and it is a unique event that I'm in agreement with gak.
I think all of the new retro stadiums are the cookie cutters of the near future. Remember, Shea was state of the art as was the SkyDome.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 metzol

metzol

Mod Team

• Moderators
  • 10,604 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Baseball, Bratwurst

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

Hope for their sake they don't see this again (please note, this pic was taken DURING a game, not half an hour before or after, there seems to be, what, a couple of hundred people there? )

Posted Image

This must've been some weekday makeup game. Or a game that was delayed by rain for three hours. As bad as their attendance can be, this is not really indicative.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 IamTheIan

IamTheIan

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

Posted Image

78,363 strong last Sunday for Wrestlemania. The old place doesn't look half bad when it's filled.

And for the record, I liked the city of Miami very much. That stadium looked crazy when I drove past it on the highway, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

I'm not an architectural genius, but why can't some places look crazy? Citi Field looks amazing. Yankee Stadium looks amazing. The news Marlins park looks crazy. Different adjective, but adjectives nonetheless.
YGB09!

#12 Metsfan980

Metsfan980

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

Posted Image

That particular day of Florida baseball (that was actually a double header) probably should not have happened, and has a ridiculous number attached to it:

According to the Marlins, that is the attendance of that double header.

This situation illustrates why attendance numbers are essentially pointless in MLB.

That number is probably the amount of tickets sold to attendees (estimated at 347 by one fan: https://twitter.com/#!/790Justin/status/106459903400488960), tickets sold to non-attendees, tickets sold to scalpers, and tickets dumped on donated to local businesses, charities, schools, etc.

That doubleheader was created to accommodate for Hurricane Irene, which was set to create storms the following day in Miami.

But I guess Miami-area residents were more concerned with other things the day before a Hurricane swept through the area.

http://sports.yahoo....urn=mlb-wp17025
Posted Image
Love baseball? Sign up for the THR OOTP 10 league!

#13 jfsportz

jfsportz

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

I like the outside...

Like comedy? Feeling down and want to cheer yourself up? Then comedicast is for you! http://comedicast.libsyn.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image

(Avatar and signature photos credit to MetsBlog, in the event Cerrone comes after me.)

#14 Doc

Doc

• Moderators
  • 11,294 posts
  • Interests:Family, movies, graphic novels, music, Mets, Knicks, cycling, and shoveling snow.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

Don't get me wrong. I like different styles of ball parks. But this has no character or identity whatsoever. It looks more like a cross between an airport terminal and a parking garage than a stadium.

Posted Image
We Live. We Learn. We Teach. Posted Image
"Living the dream, Baby."--Mr Met.

#15 gak29

gak29

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

Don't get me wrong. I like different styles of ball parks. But this has no character or identity whatsoever. It looks more like a cross between an airport terminal and a parking garage than a stadium.

Posted Image

So? That's a legit aesthetic. You're too judgmental.
Posted Image

#16 StrawberryFieldsForever

StrawberryFieldsForever

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:57 AM

I hadn't seen the outside until now. At least from that angle, imo that's about as ugly as it ever gets, in fact I'd go so far as to say that concerted hurricane damage could only really improve it.

Btw, anyone have any suggestions if there's anything that could improve Ozzie Guillen? You could even change the title of this thread to 'Sorry Jose, But that Manager is Hideous'. The man is scary, I can actually imagine him knifing an umpire one day during one of his tantrums. Anyway it seems he...quote.."loves Fidel Castro"...which is a legitimate viewpoint I guess if you're that way inclined, but I'm sure it will go down well the 1 million or so Cubans in the Miami area, most of whom I premume only fled there in the first place because they (or their parents/grandparents) were trying to get the hell away from Fidel Castro?

http://www.miamihera...guillen-in.html

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#17 StrawberryFieldsForever

StrawberryFieldsForever

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

Marlins have suspended Guillen for a week. Seems a pretty infantile knee-jerk reaction by the club whatever he said, but then this is the club that just forced Reyes to cut off all his dreadlocks in line with the new strict hair policy, Miami of course being a city where unconventional dress code and highly immoral/disrespectable modes of behaviour and self expression simply never happens. :banghead:

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#18 metsfanohio

metsfanohio

Hall Of Fame Caliber

• Members
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

long way to go in the season.......but jose has to have had the thought over the last day or two that he should have stayed put and re-signed with the mets.
Please visit, join and contribute @ http://sports.groups...kMetsClubhouse/

#19 ils

ils

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts
  • Interests:METS

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

long way to go in the season.......but jose has to have had the thought over the last day or two that he should have stayed put and re-signed with the mets.

He might have thought about it had he been offered a contract by the Mets :neenerneener:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users