#1 Luke

Luke

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts
  • Interests:Is not a Clemens

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:57 AM

I have always been baffled by the devotion to television on THR. I rarely turn the TV on unless it is to watch a bit of sport. My number one bugbear are commercials. I cannot abide to be watching a show and have it interrupted by some buffoon's testament to toilet paper (surely there needs to be a saturation point - no pun intended - for 'softness' and 'strength').

You guys, on the other hand, have whole looooong threads dedicated to particular shows. It was almost a little disconcerting.

And I was thinking about this phenomenon last week. I had a day off. Thought I might look at some of this 'stuff' you spoke about that was unfathomable to me.

'Mundo is a man I have always respected and I recalled his threads to Dexter. So, I thought I'd have a crack at a serial killing forensic tech...hey, couldn't go wrong with such a premise, could I?

Here I am, 11 days later and I have gluttonised 50 episodes (up to season 5 episode 3).

F...you, 'Mundo!

I have been waking between 4 and 5 am to get in 2 to 3 episodes before I go to work. I come home and bid my family adieu at 8.30 to get another couple in before sleep. I only had the one day off - I do need to work also.

Great show - season 4 was a doozie. Only time I've ever heard 'the C-bomb dropped on American TV'. A cameo in season one (or two) from the guy who played Belker in Hill Street Blues (a million years ago, I know, but before I became so disenchanted with 'the idiot box').

Going to a party tonight and already want to leave early to slip a couple more in.

So, F you, EStank...you're ruining my life. Oh - and that British girl in series 2 - the accent was genuine...and she was way preferable to the carping pain that Rita became (before her welcome demise)!
Posted Image

LET'S GO METS!!!!

#2 birtelcom

birtelcom

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,822 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:02 AM

My number one bugbear are commercials. I cannot abide to be watching a show and have it interrupted by some buffoon's testament to toilet paper (surely there needs to be a saturation point - no pun intended - for 'softness' and 'strength').

I never see commercials unless I'm watching sports live. I record everything on my DVR, and always, always, always fast forward through the commercials. My apologies to those who are actually trying to make a living producing the shows -- I know that it's the advertisements that pay the bills -- but life is short.

#3 amazinz5

amazinz5

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:39 AM

Definitely do not look into Breaking Bad.

#4 goldglv17

goldglv17

Admin Team

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,296 posts
  • Interests:For legal reasons I can not answer this on a public forum.

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:05 AM

It is my great pleasure to be effed by you Luke. I am glad you enjoyed Dexter. Season 4 is indeed a doozy and one of my favorite single seasons of any show I have ever enjoyed.

As for where Dexter sits on my top shows, I would say it falls in the top 5 to 10 range.

However I must insist if the urge comes over you to indulge in another of the shows, I strongly endorse "The Wire" or "Mad Men"

Enjoy my friend.
:(

I still have no idea what's going on....

#5 Luke

Luke

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:30 AM

I strongly endorse "The Wire" or "Mad Men"

Bugger!

I hadn't thought of going back for another crack at a series. And George P. Pelecanos, one of the writers of The Wire is a favourite author of mine.
Posted Image

LET'S GO METS!!!!

#6 goldglv17

goldglv17

Admin Team

• Root Admin
  • 15,296 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:17 AM

It is amazing you reference him as Pelecanos is responsible for writing the penultimate second to last episode every season. These episodes always lead to the most heart break and closure for the viewer. If you do take on this show, I highly recommend you do so with the accompaniment of the tremendous episode recaps written by Alan Sepinwall. He even did a separate recap for the first few seasons for newbie viewers vs. veteran viewers. Trust me my friend you will not be disappointed.

#7 Luke

Luke

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:50 AM

Up to date with Dexter (all 69 episodes to date). Get that bugger on your TV screens tomorrow so that some rapscallionn can upload episode 70.

I'm enjoying season 6. It is a little silly but with Edward James 'Stand and Deliver' Olmos (and how many people became teachers because of that film)it works for me.

As a result of Ty's recommendation and Agates' earlier thread, 4 seasons of Breaking Bad are downloading now. Looking forward to it. As many of you know, my World doesn't have room for a lot more clanlab stuff, but hey...
Posted Image

LET'S GO METS!!!!

#8 goldglv17

goldglv17

Admin Team

• Root Admin
  • 15,296 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:46 AM

I have voyaged into the second season of Breaking Bad and am as addicted as the fictional addicts portrayed on the show.

A question for you Luke, what was your most enjoyed Dexter season thus far?

#9 Luke

Luke

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:10 PM

Think my fave Dexter series was the Trinity one - season 4. It is a bit of a pain that I now need to wait until Monday afternoon to watch the up-to-date episodes.

Up to season 2 second last episode of Breaking Bad. Loves it! As many of you know, meth cooks have paid for large chunks of my house. I cannot get over how accurate the chemistry is.
Posted Image

LET'S GO METS!!!!

#10 goldglv17

goldglv17

Admin Team

• Root Admin
  • 15,296 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:13 PM

Since this discussion has began I am not down to 6 episodes of Breaking Bad left and devoured Sons of Anarchy w/ only 2 episodes left.

This season of Breaking Bad has been excellent, and I truly believe Jesse's actor needs to be nominated as a lead character from now on as he is a co-star of Bryan Cranston and has simply turned in the best acting performance of the season. Tonight I get Gus' back story which many fans of the show have expressed to me is their favorite episode of the series.

#11 Luke

Luke

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:08 PM

Finished Breaking Bad...absolutely wonderful denouement to season 4. I read that season 5 will be the final season and will have 16 episodes. Can't wait.

Anyway - now I've moved on to Boardwalk Empire. This show is shaping as perhaps my favourite of all. That is as much due to the attention to historial detail as the story. Of course, Steve Buscemi is a favourite actor of mine and he is perfect in his role.

Anyone else watched this?
Posted Image

LET'S GO METS!!!!

#12 metzol

metzol

Mod Team

• Moderators
  • 10,604 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Baseball, Bratwurst

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

Finished Breaking Bad...absolutely wonderful denouement to season 4. I read that season 5 will be the final season and will have 16 episodes. Can't wait.

Anyway - now I've moved on to Boardwalk Empire. This show is shaping as perhaps my favourite of all. That is as much due to the attention to historial detail as the story. Of course, Steve Buscemi is a favourite actor of mine and he is perfect in his role.

Anyone else watched this?

I watch Boardwalk Empire. The set designs, costume, etc. are all top quality. But I must say the show is not great. It's good, but not great. As much as I love Buscemi, I think he is miscast. The best thing they ever did was kill off the awful Darmody. Capone is good though.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users