Captain America:First Avenger

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Doc

Doc

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,294 posts
  • Interests:Family, movies, graphic novels, music, Mets, Knicks, cycling, and shoveling snow.

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

I really enjoyed this one. It was a very nice blend of comic book hero and period piece. It stayed true to the origin story. The battle scenes let you believe that the 'new' technology fit into nineteen forties reality.

Now for the bad. The direct ripoffs of Justice League Unlimited, Star Wars, Raiders, and various James Bond films quickly lost their charm. There was no way it was an homage to everything. The Voice Director should not be allowed near any studio ever again. No one managed an accent well, especially the Germans and Austrians.

As with all Marvel films, stay until the credits are over. Avengers looks very good.
We Live. We Learn. We Teach. Posted Image
"Living the dream, Baby."--Mr Met.

#2 gak29

gak29

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts
  • Interests:Mets, Knicks, Jets, Rangers, Marist College, George Lucas's creative expenditures, analytic philosophy, and all facets of music

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:36 PM

I really enjoyed this one. It was a very nice blend of comic book hero and period piece. It stayed true to the origin story. The battle scenes let you believe that the 'new' technology fit into nineteen forties reality.

Now for the bad. The direct ripoffs of Justice League Unlimited, Star Wars, Raiders, and various James Bond films quickly lost their charm. There was no way it was an homage to everything. The Voice Director should not be allowed near any studio ever again. No one managed an accent well, especially the Germans and Austrians.

As with all Marvel films, stay until the credits are over. Avengers looks very good.

Yeah, I only had qualms with the movie after I thought about it. I agree exactly what you said what was good (I say great) about it. I'd only add Hugo Weaving made a GREAT Red Skull, imo.

But my problems were this. I was supposed to care about Peggy and Bucky, but that seemed contrived. Probably because the plot was rushed along though. Also, Chris Evans did the first two parts of the character progression well. He was a "Rudy" type character, then he was an enthusiastic and sort of happy-go-lucky once he got the powers and started kicking butt. But that's where it ended, and I felt like that there was missing when Cap turns into a strong leader. That turn never came, and he ended the movie still kinda wide-eyed and awshucksy. BUT I only say this because Cap is close to, if not my fav superhero, and that's the expectation I have of his character.

Spoiler

Posted Image

#3 Doc

Doc

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,294 posts
  • Interests:Family, movies, graphic novels, music, Mets, Knicks, cycling, and shoveling snow.

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:52 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

We Live. We Learn. We Teach. Posted Image
"Living the dream, Baby."--Mr Met.

#4 Metsfan980

Metsfan980

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:49 AM

There were way too many scenes that reminded me of Star Wars.
Posted Image
Love baseball? Sign up for the THR OOTP 10 league!

#5 gak29

gak29

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts
  • Interests:Mets, Knicks, Jets, Rangers, Marist College, George Lucas's creative expenditures, analytic philosophy, and all facets of music

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:50 AM

Spoiler

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users