Game of Thrones

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Doc

Doc

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,294 posts
  • Interests:Family, movies, graphic novels, music, Mets, Knicks, cycling, and shoveling snow.

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:01 PM

A year and a half ago, zol recommend this series as a great read. I started the first book and was bored to tears. The HBO series, however has kept my attention since day one. Any other watchers?
We Live. We Learn. We Teach. Posted Image
"Living the dream, Baby."--Mr Met.

#2 metzol

metzol

Mod Team

• Moderators
  • 10,604 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Baseball, Bratwurst

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:21 PM

Really? Bored to tears? I've recommended this to many people and every one has thanked me profusely. Wow, to each his own I guess.
But the series engages you? It's a light version of the book.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Doc

Doc

• Moderators
  • 11,294 posts
  • Interests:Family, movies, graphic novels, music, Mets, Knicks, cycling, and shoveling snow.

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:48 PM

Really? Bored to tears? I've recommended this to many people and every one has thanked me profusely. Wow, to each his own I guess.
But the series engages you? It's a light version of the book.

Maybe I will try again knowing there is some excitement coming.

#4 mikevailrules

mikevailrules

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:25 PM

i want in on the books. i'm too cheap for hbo, but i caught the premier when i was on the road at a HI Express.

public library didn't have them though
QUOTE (ils @ Sep 1 2008, 03:21 PM) *
MVR is 100% correct.

ils, on 23 August 2009 - 03:47 PM, said:
I don't get it

#5 B P

B P

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

I've caught myself up with the HBO series. Very good series. Was apprehensive at first, but got hooked in the first episode. The best part is that the episodes are 1 hr, but it really feels much longer. Sometimes I find myself thinking "damn it, the episode is over" thinking they'll end it on a suspenseful moment, but the episode continues with even more suspense.

Really hate Queen Cersei which says a lot about her acting (a good thing!). And the actor they picked for Joffrey was perfect. The kid doesn't even have to say a word, his face just screams I am a man who loves other men, just sayin'!.

I was thinking of picking up the books. Nick, did you read just the first book of the series only or all of them? I heard there are 5 books with the last 2 being sub-par. If I started reading, I'd like to know that the quality wouldn't just drop and would like some closure. From what I've read online, the author is getting up there in age and while he released the first 3 books in 4 years, it has taken him 11 years to release the last 2.
Posted Image
"I just had an argument with a girl I know. She was saying how it's unfair that if a guy bangs a different girl every week, he's a legend, but if a girl bangs just two guys in a year, she's a slut. So in response I told her that if a key opens lots of locks, then it's a master key. But if a lock is opened by lots of keys, then it's a crappy lock. That shut her up."

Check out my Amazon store for books and video and other items: www.amazon.com/shops/mr_pavlov
Check out my blog: http://metstats.wordpress.com

#6 metzol

metzol

Mod Team

• Moderators
  • 10,604 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

I've caught myself up with the HBO series. Very good series. Was apprehensive at first, but got hooked in the first episode. The best part is that the episodes are 1 hr, but it really feels much longer. Sometimes I find myself thinking "damn it, the episode is over" thinking they'll end it on a suspenseful moment, but the episode continues with even more suspense.

Really hate Queen Cersei which says a lot about her acting (a good thing!). And the actor they picked for Joffrey was perfect. The kid doesn't even have to say a word, his face just screams I am a man who loves other men, just sayin'!.

I was thinking of picking up the books. Nick, did you read just the first book of the series only or all of them? I heard there are 5 books with the last 2 being sub-par. If I started reading, I'd like to know that the quality wouldn't just drop and would like some closure. From what I've read online, the author is getting up there in age and while he released the first 3 books in 4 years, it has taken him 11 years to release the last 2.

I've read all five books. There are supposed to be two more but who knows when they'll be out. All the books have been excellent. But the last two books are a bit frustrating as he never seems to advance the plot. He just creates more plotlines. It's like he's moving sideways.

Spoiler Alert:
By the end of Book 5 Daenerys is still trying figure out how to get across the sea to invade Westeros.

By the way, I'm finishing up the first season of the HBO series and am enjoying it immensely. Very well done and very true to th ebook. Tyrion is perfectly cast.

#7 B P

B P

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

I've read all five books. There are supposed to be two more but who knows when they'll be out. All the books have been excellent. But the last two books are a bit frustrating as he never seems to advance the plot. He just creates more plotlines. It's like he's moving sideways.

Spoiler Alert:
By the end of Book 5 Daenerys is still trying figure out how to get across the sea to invade Westeros.

By the way, I'm finishing up the first season of the HBO series and am enjoying it immensely. Very well done and very true to th ebook. Tyrion is perfectly cast.

Good to know. Might jump in then. And hope he provides closure.

And I do agree about Tyrion. Most say he's the star of the show. I'd agree. He did win an Emmy for it too.

Spoiler

Posted Image
"I just had an argument with a girl I know. She was saying how it's unfair that if a guy bangs a different girl every week, he's a legend, but if a girl bangs just two guys in a year, she's a slut. So in response I told her that if a key opens lots of locks, then it's a master key. But if a lock is opened by lots of keys, then it's a crappy lock. That shut her up."

Check out my Amazon store for books and video and other items: www.amazon.com/shops/mr_pavlov

#8 B P

B P

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

By the way, the guy that plays Eddard Stark looks like Triple H. Or maybe the other way around. Hard to find a good picture comparing the two, but...

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 StrawberryFieldsForever

StrawberryFieldsForever

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Reading obsessively, general family stuff/my boys, wife, and my dog, digging things up/archaeology, ornithology, cricket, movies, Mets.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

I absolutely love the HBO series, but then there is virtually nothing that HBO have done over the years that I haven't loved.

I'm a compulsive but quite slow reader, but I never made it past about page 350-400 of that first Game of Throne novel, in fact each volume of that 'Song of Ice and Fire' series I think is anywhere from 750 - 1200 pages long, and the endless cast of characters alone is just mind-boggling, so I decided that life is just too short for George R R Martin's endless books... I may go back and try it again if I ever end up paralysed from the neck down and only have movement in my eyes :wacko:

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#10 metzol

metzol

Mod Team

• Moderators
  • 10,604 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

By the way, the guy that plays Eddard Stark looks like Triple H. Or maybe the other way around. Hard to find a good picture comparing the two, but...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now that I've grown my hair long again, my students have nicknamed me Triple H. I don't think I necessarily resemble him but I'll take it. It's better than Billy Ray Cyrus.

#11 gak29

gak29

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts
  • Interests:Mets, Knicks, Jets, Rangers, Marist College, George Lucas's creative expenditures, analytic philosophy, and all facets of music

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

Now that I've grown my hair long again, my students have nicknamed me Triple H. I don't think I necessarily resemble him but I'll take it. It's better than Billy Ray Cyrus.

HA!
Posted Image

#12 Retire#17

Retire#17

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:My intrests include, the Mets, my wife and kids, complaining about work and not getting enough sleep

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

I finally finished season two (only started a month or so ago) and it is just an amazing show. I put the books on my e-reader and I'm going to start them as soon as I'm done with Happiest Recap (part 1).

644608_10200938925903242_1507082367_n.jp

#13 Doc

Doc

• Moderators
  • 11,294 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

I finally finished season two (only started a month or so ago) and it is just an amazing show. I put the books on my e-reader and I'm going to start them as soon as I'm done with Happiest Recap (part 1).

I hope you have a lot of coffee.

#14 Retire#17

Retire#17

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:My intrests include, the Mets, my wife and kids, complaining about work and not getting enough sleep

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

Doc you are right ... those books are so detailed it makes reading them so slow. Especially when you dont have huge chunks of time to read. 

So what did people think about the first episode of season 3.

Spoiler
But other wise I thought is was way to short and when the epsode ended I was so mad that I had to wait a whole week to see more. Oh how gross was
Spoiler
Yuck.

#15 goldglv17

goldglv17

Admin Team

• Root Admin
  • 15,296 posts
  • Interests:For legal reasons I can not answer this on a public forum.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

Episode 1 was OK to me Niel. I thought it was a lot of catching the viewer up. I really enjoyed last night's episode. The mythical elements are always going to be a part of this show, but kept in the background I think. I haven't read the books as this and TWD are the first two shows I can remember where I enjoy the TV show so much I do not want to spoil anything by going to the source material.

:(

I still have no idea what's going on....

#16 Retire#17

Retire#17

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

I agree the second episode was way better, it had tense moments and a scene where i was tearing up a little. And I'm going to finish the first book, but not go any further because I want to enjoy the show for what it is.

#17 Luke

Luke

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts
  • Interests:Is not a Clemens

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:37 AM

Watched the first 21 episodes over Easter...and the most recent ones since.

Why isn't anyone else asking when Jon Snow is going to get the clothes off redhaired girl?

It is a fun show.

Posted Image

LET'S GO METS!!!!

#18 Retire#17

Retire#17

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

Because he took an oath. And Starks are good to their word (not so much Robb). It's also really cold north of the wall, so it would be impractical.

#19 Retire#17

Retire#17

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

So Luke, I don't know if your HBO is a US feed or what. But after the end of the show they had a little video about things on HBO this sping. Just an innocent little trailer. People walking into rooms smiling, looking dour, movie events all set to uplifting music. So yours would be for Fall.

But there is a clip where Jon achieves you goal for him. Me and my buddies argued about the significance of that two second clip for thirty minutes. Holy crap I need new friends.

#20 goldglv17

goldglv17

Admin Team

• Root Admin
  • 15,296 posts
  • Interests:For legal reasons I can not answer this on a public forum.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

I absolutely adored this past episode, probably my favorite of the series outside of Blackwater.

Spoiler

Winter is coming.

:(

I still have no idea what's going on....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users