5 replies to this topic

#1 birtelcom

birtelcom

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:28 AM

Members of the Mets organization who cannot be sent to the minors without going through waivers (according to baseball-prospectus.com):
Pat Misch
Nick Evans
Chin-Lung Hu
Manny Acosta
Luis Hernandez

http://www.baseballp...articleid=12813

Each of these guys was good enough that over three previous seasons he has been on a team's 40-man roster (thus enabling him to play in the majors and/or protecting him from being taken by other teams in the Rule 5 draft), but also limited enough that he was sent to the minors (i.e., not placed on, or taken off, the active 25-man roster without being put on the diabled list) at some point during each of those three seasons. The general rule (with some exceptions) is that a guy can only be on the 40-man roster but left off the 25-man roster, for all or any parts of a season, in three separate seasons (these are his three "option years"). A team that wants to do this in a fourth season (the player now being "out of 'option years'") must place the player on outright waivers, essentially putting him up for grabs to any team who is willing to pay the waiving team the $20,000 waiver price and take over his contract. The idea is to bar teams from burying a guy in the minors forever who might be good enough to get a major league job for another franchise.

Nick Evans, for example, has been considered good enough by the Mets to put him on the forty-man roster in each of the 2008, 2009 and 2010 seasons, but not good enough to stay on the 25-man roster throughout 2008, or 2009, or 2010. So each of those seasons counts as one "option year" used, and the Mets have now used up Nick's three "option years" and must put him on outright waivers if they want to leave him off the 25-man roster at any point going forward.

#2 metsflu

metsflu

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:02 PM

I'm a big fan of Misch, and I think TC will give him the shot he deserves.
Nick Evans, I really like the guy, but I just don't see him as an everyday major league player.
Hu, know nothing about.
Acosta impressed at times last year, but as every reliever is, was inconsistent, but certainly deserves another chance.
Hernandez, we all remember what he did last year, hitting a home run with a broken foot, but I don't think the guy has what it takes to play in the majors on a consistent basis.

#3 BelieveinNYM

BelieveinNYM

Triple A

• Blogger
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:03 PM

I'm a big fan of Misch, and I think TC will give him the shot he deserves.
Nick Evans, I really like the guy, but I just don't see him as an everyday major league player.
Hu, know nothing about.
Acosta impressed at times last year, but as every reliever is, was inconsistent, but certainly deserves another chance.
Hernandez, we all remember what he did last year, hitting a home run with a broken foot, but I don't think the guy has what it takes to play in the majors on a consistent basis.

I have no problem giving Misch one more chance. He's shown he has good stuff. Same thing with Acosta. I agree with you on Hernandez, but I think I've given up on Nick Evans. He definitely isn't an everyday player, and I just can't see him becoming consistent enough to earn a defined role here.
Posted Image
The night all was Wright in my life!

#4 Metsfan980

Metsfan980

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:53 AM

Members of the Mets organization who cannot be sent to the minors without going through waivers (according to baseball-prospectus.com):
Pat Misch
Nick Evans
Chin-Lung Hu
Manny Acosta
Luis Hernandez

Hu is the most likely player to make the roster out of this list--the team traded for him and gave him an awkward press conference, so it seems they like him and the ability he gives them to gain interest from a foreign market.

Misch also stands a good chance at making the team, even if he's just brought along to eat some innings in the early part of the season.

Acosta should make the team.

The other two, Evans and Hernandez, are probably done with the Mets. Middle infielders are always claimed, and some team will take a shot on Nick Evans, it's just too bad the Mets never really gave him that shot.
Posted Image
Love baseball? Sign up for the THR OOTP 10 league!

#5 Big Country Griff

Big Country Griff

Triple A

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:56 PM

Agree with 980 on this one. Hu, Misch and Acosta probably all make the team out of Spring Training. Hernandez and Evans won't clear, but my guess is that both wind up passing through multiple organizations this season as short term injury replacements for teams searching for players to fill out the 25 man roster.
Posted Image

#6 goldglv17

goldglv17

Admin Team

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,296 posts
  • Interests:For legal reasons I can not answer this on a public forum.

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:56 PM

Interesting that Terry Collins said don't count Nick Evans out just yet. He also praised Hu's defense thus far. I agree with Griff about Hernandez though. I think the guy's future is a map of the US.
:(

I still have no idea what's going on....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users