• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 StrawberryFieldsForever

StrawberryFieldsForever

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Reading obsessively, general family stuff/my boys, wife, and my dog, digging things up/archaeology, ornithology, cricket, movies, Mets.

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:14 PM

OK, I need an inroad/opportunity, especially to play some 'Van-the-Man', I can hold back from this no longer! So why not let's have a thread for random great sounds, any genre of music, just whatever surfaces in your mind on any given day, just post it for the hell of it, no need to comment unless something blows you away, or is so awful it deserves a severe dressing down!

I'll kick off the Happy Recap Jukebox with these three greats - Morrison, Booker and the MG's, and Mozart..

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#2 tabes

tabes

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts
  • Interests:Mets (of course), all types of music, Giants, Sabres

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:40 PM

Two of my favorites, Derek and Susan, with Herbie Hancock.

When the change was made uptown
And the Big Man joined the band....

-Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

#3 Metsfan980

Metsfan980

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:31 AM

Isobel Campbell (formerly of Belle and Sebastian) and Mark Lanegan (formerly of Screaming Trees and Queens of the Stone Age) are an awesome duette:

Posted Image
Love baseball? Sign up for the THR OOTP 10 league!

#4 StrawberryFieldsForever

StrawberryFieldsForever

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Reading obsessively, general family stuff/my boys, wife, and my dog, digging things up/archaeology, ornithology, cricket, movies, Mets.

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:57 PM

OK, here's my 20 minute THR YouTube fix for today - some phenomenal Pink Floyd, ditto the great Tom Petty, some Billy Squier (maybe the best track that Led Zeppelin never recorded, listen and you'll see what I mean!) and - as a total contrast for any 'ravers' here - The Chemical Brothers, who are maybe my favourite dance/trance/electronic combo, them and Orbital anyway...this track/vid was actually shot at the Glastonbury Festival over in England in 2000, I was actually there for this! 200,000 doped up kids in a field, at midnight, on a very humid 70 degree summer night, possibly isn't something I would particularly want to repeat, and I think my ears are still ringing 10 years later! But it was still a somewhat memorable and elevating experience to be a part of this ritual.

Btw if, like me, anyone here is addicted to classic rock from the 60's through to the 90's, I just recently came across a link on another MLB site forum to THE most amazing classic rock radio station that I have ever heard, they broadcast out of Los Angeles, and it's KSWD 100.3 The Rock LA.com ...

100.3 The Rock LA

I now have this station playing in the house from any place where there's an intenet hook-up and a notebook/laptop/PC lying around, I really don't need local Irish rock radio anymore. If you are into classic rock, just one hour of this stuff and you will be hooked.

Reminds me, I have tickets for the Roger Waters 'The Wall' tour show at the O2 Arena in Dublin next May, did anyone catch 'The Wall' tour over in US yet? I can barely wait, as I never saw Floyd live, mainly because for some obscure reason as far as I can tell the bastards never played a show in Ireland, ever, despite the fact that we have Croke Park (capacity 85,000) Lansdowne Road Stadium (capacity 55,000) and Slane Castle (capacity 100,000), which I'd have thought were all big enough even for The Floyd!

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#5 gak29

gak29

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts
  • Interests:Mets, Knicks, Jets, Rangers, Marist College, George Lucas's creative expenditures, analytic philosophy, and all facets of music

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:17 AM

Here's an interesting find. Not a bad band from Adelaide, Australia. Maybe not within of youse guyses tastes, but worth a shot to post and see.

Posted Image

#6 ils

ils

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts
  • Interests:METS

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:58 PM

Nigel's song cover post reminded me how much I love this song:

Amazing that the same singer made this 20 years later. I guess it has it's place, but it's roughly 1/1000th as cool.

#7 StrawberryFieldsForever

StrawberryFieldsForever

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:46 AM

Just saw this on a couple of other sites. I wasn't able to go for obvious reasons, but how I would have loved to have been at this show, anyone from THR go to the Billy Joel thing at Shea Stadium a couple of years ago? Anyway it's just out on a CD and DVD box set, I need to buy this asap

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#8 StrawberryFieldsForever

StrawberryFieldsForever

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:25 AM

OK, I know it's a thread that needs repeated mouth-to-mouth resuscitation just to keep it barely breathing, but now we have baseball and I am likely to be around here a lot more, I'm determined to bump this up whatever, just because a) I love music, and B) it's a chance do indulge myself musically free of charge, courtesy of YouTube, and the InvisionProBoards server!

Got my tickets a couple of weeks ago for Rush, and I am totally pumped for this. They are playing the O2 Arena in Dublin on May 12th, which happens to be the day before my wife's birthday, so we are all off to the big city for a couple of days, there's a games-room, and pool at the hotel where the boys can splash around all night while we are at the show. Seen Rush before 3 times, once actually way back in 1996 at the Izod Center in NJ (though back then I think it was the Continental Airlines Arena) and I always really loved their consumate musicianship - for me the most technically gifted drums/guitar/bass combo, Geddy somehow occasionally manages to sing, play his bass, play effects foot-pedals, and also play keyboards virtually all simultaneously!, and also their rather lyrically obscure and challenging but very rewarding songs and style. So basically, I can't wait, seems an appropriate band to revive my flagging 'Jukebox' with a couple of tunes from the Rush archives...

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#9 StrawberryFieldsForever

StrawberryFieldsForever

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

Been listening to a lot of Mark Knopfler lately, pretty much all his albums both solo and with Dire Straits, and I can't get enough of him. To me he's the consumate musician, we all know about his skill as one of the great guitar players, but he's a terrific song-writer and he has a very alluring sultry voice. I love the fact that as a solo artist he's been going back to his roots, he's Scottish born and grew up the the far north east of England, and you hear a lot of that Scots/Irish/gaelic influence in his more recent music, his last album 'Get Lucky' almost qualifies as a folk album, though you also get that cool laid back jazz/bluesey underlying feel in a lot of his songs, he's incredibly versatile, perfect music for just chilling out to after dinner. Anyway I thought I'd just add some of his stuff to the HR Jukebox.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#10 StrawberryFieldsForever

StrawberryFieldsForever

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:34 AM

Following on from those four Mark Knopfler tracks, I thought I might start a sequence of tracks from other favourite artists, doesn't really matter if anyone else joins in, though it would be nice, it may just end up with me indulging myself, but it's always fun chosing favourites and highlighting them.

Next up is the genuinely great and unique Billy Joel, BJ seems to have gone into retirement, though without actually announcing that he has, apart from that classical piano record he released, he's not had an album of new songs out now for 19 years, since River of Dreams in 1993, so that to me is an artist who isn't interested anymore, either that or he has writer's block, or he's just disilussioned with the business, or maybe there's some other reason, but it seems as if he's done. But anyway he wrote some of the greatest songs IMO of the last 40 years, here's a few, including a couple filmed at those 'Last Play at Shea' concerts in 2008.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#11 StrawberryFieldsForever

StrawberryFieldsForever

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

Watched 'Forrest Gump' over the Easter Holiday weekend with our kids...I reckon it's one of the best 'feel-good' movies I ever saw, I always judge a movie by whether it can actually inspire or move (or in this case me and my family) and not by what some pompous film critic tells me I should be inspired and moved by. i was reminded of what a phenomenal soundtrack that movie had, just peppered from end to end with some of the greatest stuff from the 60's and 70's, so I ended up digging out the movie soundtrack CD which I knew I still had hanging around here somewhere, and been playing it on and off for a few days now...here's a few...

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#12 gak29

gak29

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts
  • Interests:Mets, Knicks, Jets, Rangers, Marist College, George Lucas's creative expenditures, analytic philosophy, and all facets of music

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:00 AM

So happy you approve of Billy Joel. I love him. It seems a lot of serious music fans (especially my fellow Bruce-zombies) don't.

Meanwhile, the existence of this thing makes me cry.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users