• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 StrawberryFieldsForever

StrawberryFieldsForever

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Reading obsessively, general family stuff/my boys, wife, and my dog, digging things up/archaeology, ornithology, cricket, movies, Mets.

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:11 AM

I got this idea from some music forum I once posted on.

It's pretty simple, you post a song, from any era, any genre of music, then the next person(s) who comes along scores it with marks out of 10, maybe leave a short comment/review it if you want, say why you like it, or why you hate it, then that person posts the next song, and waits for somebody to come along and rate/score it, and so on...

It's probably best to be brutally honest, if you hate it, then say so, musical taste is such a subjective thing, for example I hate rap music, I can't help it, I also hate anchovies and olives, and nothing anyone says can make me like them!

I'll start with this, IMO one of the best bands ever, was Little Feat, with the GREAT Lowell George, just so influential, amazing songs. musicianship, and mixture of styles, I could listen to them all day, you'll never hear a more 'together' band than this, their 'Waiting For Columbus' live album hasn't left the CD drawer in the glove compartment of my car in about 15 years! Anyway, see what you think, rate and score this, then leave something of your own.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#2 tabes

tabes

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts
  • Interests:Mets (of course), all types of music, Giants, Sabres

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:52 AM

I got this idea from some music forum I once posted on.

It's pretty simple, you post a song, from any era, any genre of music, then the next person(s) who comes along scores it with marks out of 10, maybe leave a short comment/review it if you want, say why you like it, or why you hate it, then that person posts the next song, and waits for somebody to come along and rate/score it, and so on...

It's probably best to be brutally honest, if you hate it, then say so, musical taste is such a subjective thing, for example I hate rap music, I can't help it, I also hate anchovies and olives, and nothing anyone says can make me like them!

I'll start with this, IMO one of the best bands ever, was Little Feat, with the GREAT Lowell George, just so influential, amazing songs. musicianship, and mixture of styles, I could listen to them all day, you'll never hear a more 'together' band than this, their 'Waiting For Columbus' live album hasn't left the CD drawer in the glove compartment of my car in about 15 years! Anyway, see what you think, rate and score this, then leave something of your own.

8. I really like Little Feat (they don't get the recognition they deserve), they're a fun band. I have to replace my long lost "Waiting for Columbus" cassette tape with CD one of these days! Nice first pick.

My shot- my "girlfriend" (don't tell my wife!) playing with a band I love, doing a song I love.

When the change was made uptown
And the Big Man joined the band....

-Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

#3 B P

B P

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:50 PM

This is an amazing idea Strawberry.

Tabes, I can't stand the raspy voice of that singer. I give it a 3.

Btw Straw, this one is for you:

Posted Image
"I just had an argument with a girl I know. She was saying how it's unfair that if a guy bangs a different girl every week, he's a legend, but if a girl bangs just two guys in a year, she's a slut. So in response I told her that if a key opens lots of locks, then it's a master key. But if a lock is opened by lots of keys, then it's a crappy lock. That shut her up."

Check out my Amazon store for books and video and other items: www.amazon.com/shops/mr_pavlov
Check out my blog: http://metstats.wordpress.com

#4 StrawberryFieldsForever

StrawberryFieldsForever

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Reading obsessively, general family stuff/my boys, wife, and my dog, digging things up/archaeology, ornithology, cricket, movies, Mets.

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:13 AM

Tabes, wow, I am genuinely impressed with that song by Susan Tedeschi & Derek Trucks Band, hadn't come across them before. She has a great voice, in fact so does the guy, he sounds like he has a sort of Joe Cocker quality to his voice. Do my eyes deceive me, or where both Eric Clapton and Bill Murray side-stage at this gig? Anyway, give that a 9/10.

Thanks BP, I suspect you're probably having a tease, which is fine! If that isn't Elton John singing on that Ghetto Gospel track, then it's someone who sounds exactly like him. But I can't score this track at all, because I don't feel qualified, as I just don't understand it, 'rap' to my ears is almost entirely without any artistic merit... take a drum machine, get some really bad 'poetry' (and if you can't find a word that rhymes, just make one up) and convince the gullible that what you're saying has some social/racial significance, and throw in a few 'mf's ...then so much the better. I could say more, but then I'd possibly be straying into 'political debate' forbidden territory!

Next, what do you make of this. Nick Drake is a singer I really love, he was an extraordinary English singer/songwriter, he actually committed suicide at a young age, but he left behind a wealth of very beautiful songs and he has attained something approaching cult status, at least on this side of the Atlantic, this is 'River Man'

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#5 goldglv17

goldglv17

Admin Team

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,296 posts
  • Interests:For legal reasons I can not answer this on a public forum.

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:41 AM

Drake has always had a haunting quality about him and Pink Moon is still an excellent album considering it is nothing more than his voice, guitar and a piano background.

In honor of a great thread and the man who started, my obsession from last summer:

:(

I still have no idea what's going on....

#6 StrawberryFieldsForever

StrawberryFieldsForever

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:58 PM

10/10!!!!

Heavens GG17, I swear I almost fell of my chair when I saw this, how much more astute can you possibly get?!! Lisa Hannigan is of course becoming our latest and most cherished musical export, I've actually seen her playing twice right here in Co. Kerry, first a couple of years ago at the National Folk Theatre at Tralee, which is just 20 miles north of here, and then again I think it was just before Christmas of last year, at the National Events Centre right here in Killarney. She's just amazing, and bound for a huge career I hope, though in another way I hope she never becomes so big that she has to move entirely away from her true roots as a performer, which is intimate pubs and clubs. I just love her album, she's due to record a follow-up soon I would hope, "I Don't Know" is just one of about 10 great songs on there. I've been in D-Mac's pub in Dingle several times,Dingle is about as far west as you can get before you fall off the edge of Ireland into the Atlantic, next stop, if you keep heading due west, is probably Cape Cod!! Dingle even has its own resident dolphin, who has lived in the bay there for about the past 20 years, and refuses to leave. Don't know why I mentioned that, but anyway!!

Try this, one of my big musical heroes, Tom Waits, none of my friends like him, but to me he's a genius. I'd have thought Gak might like this one, IMO it's one of the best songs that Springsteen never wrote!

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#7 gak29

gak29

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts
  • Interests:Mets, Knicks, Jets, Rangers, Marist College, George Lucas's creative expenditures, analytic philosophy, and all facets of music

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:23 PM

Try this, one of my big musical heroes, Tom Waits, none of my friends like him, but to me he's a genius. I'd have thought Gak might like this one, IMO it's one of the best songs that Springsteen never wrote!

9/10. Love Tom Waits. Whenever I listen to him, it seems that there are more instruments and singers than that are actually there, if that makes sense. My fav of his is "Never Let Go." So good.

Not Bruce, but she is from the Jersey Shore. Nicole Atkins. I don't know if you guys would dig her, though. An interesting throwback. Very Brill Building-like. She is the female incarnation Roy Orbison, imo.

Posted Image

#8 ils

ils

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts
  • Interests:METS

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:32 PM

Never heard of her Gak, but I liked it a lot. 8/10

I'm going to switch up genres a bit. Not sure if you guys are into that sort of thing, but I've been listening to pretty much nothing but hardcore punk from SoCal bands the last few days. So here's a song by Social Distortion:

#9 B P

B P

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:31 PM

Tabes, wow, I am genuinely impressed with that song by Susan Tedeschi & Derek Trucks Band, hadn't come across them before. She has a great voice, in fact so does the guy, he sounds like he has a sort of Joe Cocker quality to his voice. Do my eyes deceive me, or where both Eric Clapton and Bill Murray side-stage at this gig? Anyway, give that a 9/10.

Thanks BP, I suspect you're probably having a tease, which is fine! If that isn't Elton John singing on that Ghetto Gospel track, then it's someone who sounds exactly like him. But I can't score this track at all, because I don't feel qualified, as I just don't understand it, 'rap' to my ears is almost entirely without any artistic merit... take a drum machine, get some really bad 'poetry' (and if you can't find a word that rhymes, just make one up) and convince the gullible that what you're saying has some social/racial significance, and throw in a few 'mf's ...then so much the better. I could say more, but then I'd possibly be straying into 'political debate' forbidden territory!

Next, what do you make of this. Nick Drake is a singer I really love, he was an extraordinary English singer/songwriter, he actually committed suicide at a young age, but he left behind a wealth of very beautiful songs and he has attained something approaching cult status, at least on this side of the Atlantic, this is 'River Man'

I was definitely just teasing you with going with rap. I'm with you on most rap, but there are a few exceptions for me. 2Pac has quite a few nice songs that if you just read the lyrics really carry a strong message, some of which are still relevant today. And yes that is Elton John in the song.
Posted Image
"I just had an argument with a girl I know. She was saying how it's unfair that if a guy bangs a different girl every week, he's a legend, but if a girl bangs just two guys in a year, she's a slut. So in response I told her that if a key opens lots of locks, then it's a master key. But if a lock is opened by lots of keys, then it's a crappy lock. That shut her up."

Check out my Amazon store for books and video and other items: www.amazon.com/shops/mr_pavlov
Check out my blog: http://metstats.wordpress.com

#10 tabes

tabes

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts
  • Interests:Mets (of course), all types of music, Giants, Sabres

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:23 PM

8. I really like Little Feat (they don't get the recognition they deserve), they're a fun band. I have to replace my long lost "Waiting for Columbus" cassette tape with CD one of these days! Nice first pick.

This is why I love these music threads- you may discover something new, or (in this case) rediscover something you used to love but haven't heard in years....

After losing my casette (haha) of Waiting for Columbus long ago, I picked up the CD (with additional songs!) this morning after this topic. Love the album, and my daughter even commented "this is pretty good", so you can't beat that.

So lets keep the music threads going!
When the change was made uptown
And the Big Man joined the band....

-Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

#11 StrawberryFieldsForever

StrawberryFieldsForever

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:20 AM

This is why I love these music threads- you may discover something new, or (in this case) rediscover something you used to love but haven't heard in years....

After losing my casette (haha) of Waiting for Columbus long ago, I picked up the CD (with additional songs!) this morning after this topic. Love the album, and my daughter even commented "this is pretty good", so you can't beat that.

So lets keep the music threads going!

Couldnít agree more Tabes.

Itís especially gratifying to think that one poster (in this instance me!) posted a random song which so inspired another poster (in this case you!) that they went out and bought a new CD recording of an old favourite (the Little Feat live album). I think that alone justifies us trying to keep this thread and others active.

Really liked the Nicole Atkins, gak, never heard her before, I see what you mean about the Roy Orbison influence, that song has quite an epic feel to it, give that an 8/10.

Sorry ils, I didnít get the Social Distortion song, sounds like Green Day, who I think are just about the most over-rated band in the world (either them or Muse anyway). I can appreciate energy in music, and this has tons of that, but itís just a bad song, give it a 5/10, Iíd probably have loved it 20 years ago!

Next up, hereís a couple actually. Donít know if you heard of it, but back in the 70ís and 80ís there was an amazing BBC TV rock show called The Old Grey Whistle Test which was broadcast every week in Ireland and Britain, just about anyone who was anyone when visiting/touring Europe would call in on the OGWT studios in London, and record a short set for the show, usually just 2 or 3 numbers, or occasionally a full 45 minutes in front of a live audience. An awful lot of this stuff has now turned up on YouTube, itís all unique performances, like the Little Feat number at the top of this thread, that was an OGWT performance, so Iíll probably sometimes dip into this amazing stuff from that show to get it rated, and see what you think. I was too young to remember some of this stuff from the 70ís, but the OGWT has been repeated so often on Irish TV and the BBC over the years, so it still sounds fresh and new to many of us who werenít around for the initial airing.

See what you make here of Johnny Winter, and then Ry Cooder...donít know if anyone I ever heard totally rocked on the guitar like JW, or played the blues as beautifully as RC...

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#12 goldglv17

goldglv17

Admin Team

• Root Admin
  • 15,296 posts
  • Interests:For legal reasons I can not answer this on a public forum.

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:45 PM

So very jealous of you getting to see Lisa live in such intimate settings, SFF. She is indeed bound for big things. She has the look, the voice and the vibe that screams superstar to me, but in the limited live videos I have seen of her she really appears as though stardom would not change her at all. I was fortunate enough to stumble across her via blip.fm. A very cool user music sharing site.

As for your entries I go 9/10 on Winter. In the 70s he was simply a dynamo on his instrument. Had never seen this video before, so much appreciated.

As or Ry I only give it a 6/10. However this is not because it wasn't well performed, I just have never fully embraced the blues. This is kind of astonishing considering how many of my favorite bands are heavily influenced by the genre, but for some reason I can not listen to them for a sustained period of time.

My latest offering is my other obsession from last summer, Regina Spektor. While I feel she has better songs than this one that showcase her voice and piano playing better, I find that this is the song of hers that appeal most to the masses.

:(

I still have no idea what's going on....

#13 ils

ils

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:51 PM

Very catchy Goldie, I'll give it a solid 7. I'm still listening to the same thing I listened to yesterday, so I'll give some socal punk another chance. This one is Bad Religion. One of the things they're known for is their lyrics, they're smart dudes (the lead singer got his PhD in zoology from Cornell and sometimes lectures on life sciences and paleontology).

If you guys don't like this one either I'll switch genres for awhile (although I really don't see Social Distortion as sounding like Green Day, they're a lot older too).

#14 gak29

gak29

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts
  • Interests:Mets, Knicks, Jets, Rangers, Marist College, George Lucas's creative expenditures, analytic philosophy, and all facets of music

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:43 PM

Very catchy Goldie, I'll give it a solid 7. I'm still listening to the same thing I listened to yesterday, so I'll give some socal punk another chance. This one is Bad Religion. One of the things they're known for is their lyrics, they're smart dudes (the lead singer got his PhD in zoology from Cornell and sometimes lectures on life sciences and paleontology).

If you guys don't like this one either I'll switch genres for awhile (although I really don't see Social Distortion as sounding like Green Day, they're a lot older too).

I say it's a 8. I like it. It sometimes throws itself into some crafty rhythm guitar that would earn the respect of the forefathers of punk.

I have 2 problems with punk and metal these days. First, sonically, it can get so freaking repetitive. It's just pounding chords over and over in straight eighth time. This song at least tries to get away from it. Secondly, and ironically, all hard rock is hung up on its image. It's cool if you wanna be the antithesis of the sheep and the tools of the country, but they are just making too big of a point of it. And by that, I mean that's all they are concerned with. I hope that makes sense. And I'm like, dudes, stop trying to impress Holden Caufield and freakin craft a piece of music. That's what The Ramones did. As with The Clash.

/rant

What I do love, though, is some punkish crossovers into other genres that is starting to come to the forefront. Dropkick Murphys is an excellent and the example of that.

One that hasn't gotten much attention is Cowpunk. Mixing old school outlaw country with punk. This is Hank Williams III, the grandson of country legend Hank Williams, and the estranged son of "embarrassment-to-his-father" Hank Williams Jr.

There may be something inappropriate in the video. The lyrics are clean, which is a rarity for him, but I wasn't paying attention to the video. So, caution, please. No children around should see it.

Oh, btw, he also fronts a strictly metal band, Assjack,
Posted Image

#15 ils

ils

Triple A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:45 PM

Agree with your points on punk/metal nowadays Gak, that's why I took a band that's been around for 30 years :)

#16 gak29

gak29

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:52 PM

Agree with your points on punk/metal nowadays Gak, that's why I took a band that's been around for 30 years :)

And why I graded it an 8.
Posted Image

#17 StrawberryFieldsForever

StrawberryFieldsForever

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:27 AM

Regina Spektor I missed seeing last summer GG17, she played here at the Oxegen Festival which I went to, it’s basically Ireland’s version of the UK Glastonbury Festival, and held at Punchestown Racecourse in County Kildare over 3 days. I missed her as I was probably distracted elsewhere on the site at the time, with Kings of Leon or The Killers or somebody, but I know a couple of our friends caught her set, and raved about her afterwards. I like this a lot, really catchy, 7.5/10, though the video is genuinely awful! It’s normally an amazing weekend, but I’m skipping Oxegen 2010, the line-up could hardly be less appealing to me, headliners are Eminem, Muse, Jay-Z, Black Eyed Peas, not much there of any appeal.

Sorry about this ils, but punk just isn’t my thing at all, so 4/10 for Bad Religion, it’s OK, but to my ears it's indistinguishable from 100’s of other songs from that genre - no offence!! I’m sure you’ll come up with something that I love soon!!

Gak, my two boys do sometimes watch me posting over my shoulder, but I kept them away from this just in case, and it’s actually a phenomenal video. As for Hank Williams III, you have to take your hat of to somebody who introduces you to a whole new musical genre, I’d never even heard of Hellbilly music, it’s sort of Charlie Daniels Band meets Slipknot meets the cast of ‘The Hills Have Eyes’, just extraordinary!! This is where this thread thankfully seems to be working, it’s made me go and look up HWIII on Wiki, follow a few links, and now I’m curious to hear more, and I know a lot more about him now than I did 30 minutes ago. I can’t give this less than a 9/10, it's memorable and different.

Here's my two for today, see what you think, a bit different. First, I have an interest in both medieval and especially 15th to 17th century British and Irish history, and even the music originating from that period, or inspired by it. John Harle is a saxophonist who worked with many distinguished people, and he's a composer in his own right, and writes music for TV and movies, this is a piece he wrote for the TV series 'Simon Sharma's History of Britain' series, I find his arrangement of this ancient 'Three Ravens' folk song quite dark and haunting and evocative of the 'dark ages'. Second, Beck is IMO one cool artist, he's one of the more original and interesting singer/song-writers around. He also doesn't take himself too seriously as an artist, which makes a change.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#18 gak29

gak29

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:59 AM

Regina Spektor I missed seeing last summer GG17, she played here at the Oxegen Festival which I went to, itís basically Irelandís version of the UK Glastonbury Festival, and held at Punchestown Racecourse in County Kildare over 3 days. I missed her as I was probably distracted elsewhere on the site at the time, with Kings of Leon or The Killers or somebody, but I know a couple of our friends caught her set, and raved about her afterwards. I like this a lot, really catchy, 7.5/10, though the video is genuinely awful! Itís normally an amazing weekend, but Iím skipping Oxegen 2010, the line-up could hardly be less appealing to me, headliners are Eminem, Muse, Jay-Z, Black Eyed Peas, not much there of any appeal.

Sorry about this ils, but punk just isnít my thing at all, so 4/10 for Bad Religion, itís OK, but to my ears it's indistinguishable from 100ís of other songs from that genre - no offence!! Iím sure youíll come up with something that I love soon!!

Gak, my two boys do sometimes watch me posting over my shoulder, but I kept them away from this just in case, and itís actually a phenomenal video. As for Hank Williams III, you have to take your hat of to somebody who introduces you to a whole new musical genre, Iíd never even heard of Hellbilly music, itís sort of Charlie Daniels Band meets Slipknot meets the cast of ĎThe Hills Have Eyesí, just extraordinary!! This is where this thread thankfully seems to be working, itís made me go and look up HWIII on Wiki, follow a few links, and now Iím curious to hear more, and I know a lot more about him now than I did 30 minutes ago. I canít give this less than a 9/10, it's memorable and different.

Here's my two for today, see what you think, a bit different. First, I have an interest in both medieval and especially 15th to 17th century British and Irish history, and even the music originating from that period, or inspired by it. John Harle is a saxophonist who worked with many distinguished people, and he's a composer in his own right, and writes music for TV and movies, this is a piece he wrote for the TV series 'Simon Sharma's History of Britain' series, I find his arrangement of this ancient 'Three Ravens' folk song quite dark and haunting and evocative of the 'dark ages'. Second, Beck is IMO one cool artist, he's one of the more original and interesting singer/song-writers around. He also doesn't take himself too seriously as an artist, which makes a change.

I can't give Three Rivers more than a 6 here. It seems, to me, very watered down in this interpretation. When I think of medieval and renaissance music, I think of a guy on a lute. Which, alone, is so beautiful and haunting.

For Beck, 8. I have gotten a bit nostalgic (yes, I said nostalgic...I was born in the late 80's, deal with it) with early to mid-90's music. This is a great song I haven't heard in a loooong time.

Ry Cooder's "Vigilante Man" got me thinking about Woody Guthrie, another hero of mine. Here's a great song by him. Stories like this don't make their way into music no more. And it represents the weaselly douchbaggery of people from Philadelphia. Great pick-me-up from last night.

Posted Image

#19 StrawberryFieldsForever

StrawberryFieldsForever

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:38 PM

Actually I'll happily settle for a 6/10 for 'The Three Ravens' Gak, I admit it was slightly out of left-field! The original folk song dates back to the year 1611, so this obviously wasn't intended as an authentic 'period' performance, but a modern arrangement, which I quite like.

Gotta fly, I'll give Woody Guthrie a listen and a score/10 next time I'm on, though I expect somebody else will probably hear it and rate it before that.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#20 Doc

Doc

• Moderators
  • 11,294 posts
  • Interests:Family, movies, graphic novels, music, Mets, Knicks, cycling, and shoveling snow.

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:10 PM

I'll give Woody a try. While I am partial to his son, Woody is a part of Americana and obviously his influences are still heard today in both folk music and modern ballads. As for this song, I'll go 6/10. It is a little too harsh to be folksy, which actually bumped it up a peg for me. I'm just not into folk music.

For my entry a pick a mid '80's band with a story to tell. My freshmen room mate and I request the Albany Rock station to play this song at least 100 times. It started out as a bit of a joke to try to get more syntho-pop played on air. Then it became an obsession to get Go West more notoriety. When it was announced that Go West was given the title song to Rocky 4, we figured they would be the next Survivor. Alas the real Survivor was actually given the gig again and Go West faded into the sunset.

We Live. We Learn. We Teach. Posted Image
"Living the dream, Baby."--Mr Met.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users