ils, on 23 August 2009 - 03:47 PM, said:
I don't get it

#2 goldglv17

goldglv17

Admin Team

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,296 posts
  • Interests:For legal reasons I can not answer this on a public forum.

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:10 PM

Tiiiiiiiin Roof, Rusted.
:(

I still have no idea what's going on....

#3 metzol

metzol

Mod Team

• Moderators
  • 10,604 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Baseball, Bratwurst

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:34 PM

anyone else read it?

I did. Very interesting take on Faith. My wife is in seminary and her best friend who is a minister gave it to me as a gift. I was very reluctant to read it but couldn't put it down once I started.

It's easy to knock a book of this subject matter, but whatever. It answers a lot of questions people have about God and faith. Like, why is there so much evil in the world, etc.

What's your take, mvr?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 mikevailrules

mikevailrules

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:50 PM

I did. Very interesting take on Faith. My wife is in seminary and her best friend who is a minister gave it to me as a gift. I was very reluctant to read it but couldn't put it down once I started.

It's easy to knock a book of this subject matter, but whatever. It answers a lot of questions people have about God and faith. Like, why is there so much evil in the world, etc.

What's your take, mvr?

powerful stuff. made me tear up a few times. It did venture into hokey on occasion, but I thought it was honest, full of humor and actually accessible. It took a stand. i read it very quickly, but i'm certain I'll read it again or at least refer back to it
QUOTE (ils @ Sep 1 2008, 03:21 PM) *
MVR is 100% correct.

I don't get it

#5 metzol

metzol

Mod Team

• Moderators
  • 10,604 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:56 PM

powerful stuff. made me tear up a few times. It did venture into hokey on occasion, but I thought it was honest, full of humor and actually accessible. It took a stand. i read it very quickly, but i'm certain I'll read it again or at least refer back to it

I agree. I think people will write it off as hokey Christian lit without giving it a chance. You need an open mind to read it and enjoy it. And without getting political, I think this book shows that many people who feel like they are open-minded, enlighened, etc, are not so much.

#6 mikevailrules

mikevailrules

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:11 AM

I agree. I think people will write it off as hokey Christian lit without giving it a chance. You need an open mind to read it and enjoy it. And without getting political, I think this book shows that many people who feel like they are open-minded, enlighened, etc, are not so much.

i went into it wanting to hate it, and wanting to be able to pan and ridicule it when i discussed it with my mackeral-snapper friends over drinks.

i couldn't. it was rewarding. i haven't really changed my mind about anything, but reading it pointed out some shortcomings i have in the areas of forgiveness, and faith. that doesn't mean i think i'm wrong about anything, or that i feel i have things i need to address in my life, but the book made me think. in an era when so few do- that's the supreme compliment
MVR is 100% correct.

I don't get it

#7 metzol

metzol

Mod Team

• Moderators
  • 10,604 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:12 PM

i went into it wanting to hate it, and wanting to be able to pan and ridicule it when i discussed it with my mackeral-snapper friends over drinks.

i couldn't. it was rewarding. i haven't really changed my mind about anything, but reading it pointed out some shortcomings i have in the areas of forgiveness, and faith. that doesn't mean i think i'm wrong about anything, or that i feel i have things i need to address in my life, but the book made me think. in an era when so few do- that's the supreme compliment

Wow, thanks for being so refreshingly honest about it. Most people wouldn't admit that they were won over. Our little mvr is growing up right before our eyes.

#8 mikevailrules

mikevailrules

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

Wow, thanks for being so refreshingly honest about it. Most people wouldn't admit that they were won over. Our little mvr is growing up right before our eyes.

yeah, i know. curse you for making me be genuine on here. time to get back to the schtick
MVR is 100% correct.

I don't get it

#9 tabes

tabes

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts
  • Interests:Mets (of course), all types of music, Giants, Sabres

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:36 AM

Hmmm....my wife read this and suggested I read it, which I passed. May have to reconsider now....
When the change was made uptown
And the Big Man joined the band....

-Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

#10 metzol

metzol

Mod Team

• Moderators
  • 10,604 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:30 PM

Hmmm....my wife read this and suggested I read it, which I passed. May have to reconsider now....

Don't worry about the book trying to make you born again or anything. There's no prosleytizing or anything. It's a good read separate from all the religious stuff. But having questions about faith and God makes it all the better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users