YES BABY YESSSSSSSSSS!
Posted Image

#62 gak29

gak29

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts
  • Interests:Mets, Knicks, Jets, Rangers, Marist College, George Lucas's creative expenditures, analytic philosophy, and all facets of music

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:21 PM

YES BABY YESSSSSSSSSS!

I'll have what he's having.
Posted Image

#63 ZachTavlin

ZachTavlin

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:41 PM

I'll have what he's having.

A bucket of Gatorade.
Posted Image

#64 darkflyer

darkflyer

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:24 PM

Now lets take third so Arsenal has to play in the qualifying round next year.

#65 ZachTavlin

ZachTavlin

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:34 PM

Now lets take third so Arsenal has to play in the qualifying round next year.

I like the way you think.
Posted Image

#66 darkflyer

darkflyer

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:40 PM

Before even bringing in anyone for their first team (I doubt Smalling and Hernandez sees the first team next year) the team is already talking about selling Ben Foster (to Birmingham after Ferguson saying he is going nowhere back in April) and Zoran Tosic.

#67 ZachTavlin

ZachTavlin

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:33 PM

Tangerines up from the Championship after winning the playoff. Unless they bring in some quality defenders I can't see things going too well for them next season.
Posted Image

#68 darkflyer

darkflyer

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:02 PM

I don't think Joe Ledley's going to stick with Cardiff after this.

#69 darkflyer

darkflyer

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:17 PM

Only about five days left before the big four becomes the big three.

#70 ZachTavlin

ZachTavlin

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:19 AM

Crossing my fingers for a City loss tomorrow - we'd have four clubs tied for second on points with 14. Spurs starting to pick it up.
Posted Image

#71 ZachTavlin

ZachTavlin

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:09 PM

Not the EPL, but look who's atop Group A now.

What a match. Gareth Bale is immense.
Posted Image

#72 darkflyer

darkflyer

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 03:10 PM

Then the Spurs promptly lost the game against Bolton right afterward.
BTW, what is the significance of the pin/patch that all the managers are wearing on their jacket this season? I've seen it on the EPL managers and the Serie A managers.

#73 ZachTavlin

ZachTavlin

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 03:59 PM

Then the Spurs promptly lost the game against Bolton right afterward.
BTW, what is the significance of the pin/patch that all the managers are wearing on their jacket this season? I've seen it on the EPL managers and the Serie A managers.

Yeah...the Spurs certainly don't make things easy.

The managers wear the poppy pins every year around this time. It's for Poppy Day, or Remembrance Day, in honor of veterans and the war dead. If you watch hockey you'll often see Canadian coaches wearing them too. In England a lot of people wear them; I even joined in last year and hooked one to my coat.
Posted Image

#74 darkflyer

darkflyer

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:04 PM

Great weekend for United. Beat Wolves. Arsenal loses, Chelsea loses, Tottenham loses.

#75 ZachTavlin

ZachTavlin

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:29 PM

Great weekend for United. Beat Wolves. Arsenal loses, Chelsea loses, Tottenham loses.

That Nani business was a joke last week.
Posted Image

#76 darkflyer

darkflyer

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:31 PM

Nani looked back toward the ref twice before he kicked it. Not his fault if Gomez is dumb enough to just stand around instead of picking the ball up just in case.

#77 ZachTavlin

ZachTavlin

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:28 AM

Nani looked back toward the ref twice before he kicked it. Not his fault if Gomez is dumb enough to just stand around instead of picking the ball up just in case.

Well, Nani can do whatever he wants, but the ref shouldn't have counted it. It's essentially a new standard; now when someone pretends to be hurt you can't put the ball down and give him time to get up. The missed handball in the box just added another dimension of absurdity.
Posted Image

#78 darkflyer

darkflyer

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:01 PM

Well, Nani can do whatever he wants, but the ref shouldn't have counted it. It's essentially a new standard; now when someone pretends to be hurt you can't put the ball down and give him time to get up. The missed handball in the box just added another dimension of absurdity.

I don't think the ref missed it. Gomez picked the ball up before the ref blew the whistle. It's essentially the same as a goalkeeper picking up the ball before an offside was called even though the player was actively going after the ball, or a foul inside the box with the ball ended up in the keeper's hand without the whistle, in both case the ball is in play. Besides, if there was a foul, shouldn't Gomez at least have half a brain to think that the ref should have pushed the ball back about fifteen yards to where the handball was in the first place and wouldn't have let him take that the free kick practically near the edge of the box? The oldest rule in every sport is play till the whistle and Gomez made an assumption. Well, you know what they say about making assumptions.

#79 ZachTavlin

ZachTavlin

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:23 PM

I don't think the ref missed it. Gomez picked the ball up before the ref blew the whistle. It's essentially the same as a goalkeeper picking up the ball before an offside was called even though the player was actively going after the ball, or a foul inside the box with the ball ended up in the keeper's hand without the whistle, in both case the ball is in play. Besides, if there was a foul, shouldn't Gomez at least have half a brain to think that the ref should have pushed the ball back about fifteen yards to where the handball was in the first place and wouldn't have let him take that the free kick practically near the edge of the box? The oldest rule in every sport is play till the whistle and Gomez made an assumption. Well, you know what they say about making assumptions.

I don't disagree with you that Gomes made a silly assumption. Nani, however, made an appeal, then pretended to be hurt, thus forcing Gomes to wait on him. The ref should have ushered Nani off the ball. This is like Sean Avery faceguarding the goalie: it's a bad thing for the sport, though it's still within the rules inasmuch as it's never really been done before, so the ref should have blown the whistle and told him that he was being a whiny A-Rod.
Posted Image

#80 darkflyer

darkflyer

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:19 PM

I don't disagree with you that Gomes made a silly assumption. Nani, however, made an appeal, then pretended to be hurt, thus forcing Gomes to wait on him. The ref should have ushered Nani off the ball. This is like Sean Avery faceguarding the goalie: it's a bad thing for the sport, though it's still within the rules inasmuch as it's never really been done before, so the ref should have blown the whistle and told him that he was being a whiny A-Rod.

Well, to be fair, he might have done it plenty of times, but Nani didn't pretend to be hurt that time. He was just sitting on the ground with his arms outstretched asking the ref and the assistant ref why there wasn't a penalty (and that was a penalty, the commentators said as much when they looked at the review of the incident, hence why even they had no idea how the ball went in the net).
After that, Nani had a right to stop Gomez from taking the free kick even if it was a free kick cause Gomez was taking it 15 yards ahead of where it was supposed to be. Players do that all the time when defending a free kick and they are never called for it. In fact, refs usually agree with the playing blocking the free kick from being taken in those cases and tell the free kick taker to move the ball back. Not to mention all those times when players block someone from taking a quick free kick so they can move people back to defend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users