84 replies to this topic

#21 darkflyer

darkflyer

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:34 AM

That depends on if Chelsea's owner has any money left to spend. If he does, he might just blow a whole year's worth of money in one transfer window. They do have the deal with the African Cup of Nations more so then other top teams in England and they almost always struggle around that time. They were leading by 8 over United last year around this time I believe in almost the same setting, Chelsea flying high, United scuffling.

#22 ZachTavlin

ZachTavlin

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:26 AM

That depends on if Chelsea's owner has any money left to spend. If he does, he might just blow a whole year's worth of money in one transfer window. They do have the deal with the African Cup of Nations more so then other top teams in England and they almost always struggle around that time. They were leading by 8 over United last year around this time I believe in almost the same setting, Chelsea flying high, United scuffling.

But United isn't the same club they were last year. They've got depth, but question marks all over the pitch. Aside from the problems setting a backline, they can't dominate possession in the midfield like they used to. A second place finish may be likely, but this doesn't look like a championship team to me.
Posted Image

#23 darkflyer

darkflyer

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:39 AM

Well, United is still playing long balls every game even when they no longer have guys who can win aerial challenges like Ronaldo and with Berbatov hurt. Rooney and Owen can't win those balls so that's a major reason why they can't seem to keep possession, not to mention Ferguson seems dead set on playing only one striker quite often this year. When they play short quick passes on the ground they're a whole different team.
Fergie says he's not going to be making and January bids but if Valencia decides to cash in on their players, I'll have a hard time seeing Ferguson passing on David Silva to play left wing with Antonio Valencia.
A more interesting thought is that since Peterborough fired their manager, I wonder why Fergie hasn't brought his son in as part of his coaching staff. Not necessarily to succeed him but just to get him some coaching experience in the Premier League.

#24 ZachTavlin

ZachTavlin

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:58 AM

Good points. Having Silva around would give United the tactical options they've lacked thus far.

And tonight we've got ourselves a Carling Cup finals re-match. Harry is prioritizing the league, so I don't expect we'll run out our best side against you guys. Still, I'll be watching. Two of the four best squads in England is always a good show :P .
Posted Image

#25 darkflyer

darkflyer

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:02 PM

Fergie played a bunch of young kids in the Champions League game, I don't think this game will be any different.
Perhaps Nani will get a start, with either Berbatov or Owen starting then the other subbing in in the second half just to shake off the rust.

#26 darkflyer

darkflyer

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:15 PM

At least one good match up in the Carling Cup Semis:
Manchester United v Manchester City
Blackburn Rovers v Aston Villa

Now just waiting for the World Cup drawing on Friday.

#27 darkflyer

darkflyer

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:41 PM

World Cup 2010 Draw
Group A                       Group B                       Group C                       Group D
South Africa   (A1)           Argentina      (B1)           England        (C1)           Germany        (D1)
Mexico         (A2)           South Korea    (B3)           USA            (C2)           Australia      (D2)
Uruguay        (A3)           Nigeria        (B2)           Algeria        (C3)           Ghana          (D4)
France         (A4)           Greece         (B4)           Slovenia       (C4)           Serbia         (D3)

Group E                       Group F                       Group G                       Group H
Holland        (E1)           Italy          (F1)           Brazil         (G1)           Spain          (H1)
Japan          (E3)           New Zealand    (F3)           North Korea    (G2)           Honduras       (H3)
Cameroon       (E4)           Paraguay       (F2)           Cote D'Ivoire  (G3)           Chile          (H4)
Denmark        (E2)           Slovakia       (F4)           Portugal       (G4)           Switzerland    (H2)
Looking at this Brazil might have the toughest group in the first round.

#28 Big Country Griff

Big Country Griff

Triple A

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

World Cup 2010 Draw

Group A                       Group B                       Group C                       Group D
South Africa   (A1)           Argentina      (B1)           England        (C1)           Germany        (D1)
Mexico         (A2)           South Korea    (B3)           USA            (C2)           Australia      (D2)
Uruguay        (A3)           Nigeria        (B2)           Algeria        (C3)           Ghana          (D4)
France         (A4)           Greece         (B4)           Slovenia       (C4)           Serbia         (D3)

Group E                       Group F                       Group G                       Group H
Holland        (E1)           Italy          (F1)           Brazil         (G1)           Spain          (H1)
Japan          (E3)           New Zealand    (F3)           North Korea    (G2)           Honduras       (H3)
Cameroon       (E4)           Paraguay       (F2)           Cote D'Ivoire  (G3)           Chile          (H4)
Denmark        (E2)           Slovakia       (F4)           Portugal       (G4)           Switzerland    (H2)
Looking at this Brazil might have the toughest group in the first round.

Agreed. When I saw USA placed in the group with England, my fear was that Nigeria and Portugal/France were going to round out the Group of Death. I was quite relieved when Algeria and Slovenia wound up being drawn.
Posted Image

#29 ZachTavlin

ZachTavlin

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:21 PM

Group G is obviously the deepest group. North Korea has a good chance of getting blown out to the tune of seven goals. If there's a draw somewhere along the line, the second team to advance may be the one who blew North Korea out by the most.

Great draw for the U.S. England is good but not invulnerable given their goalkeeping situation, and we've got a better team than both Algeria and Slovenia. All three CONCACAF teams could advance past groups.
Posted Image

#30 darkflyer

darkflyer

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:52 PM

England and US should advance from that group, maybe even with England as the 1 seed if they can decide on a keeper from the likes of Ben Foster, David James, Robert Green, and Paul Robinson. People keep saying that the best player on the US squad is Landon Donovan, I think the best player should be the goalkeeper, from Brad Freidel/Kasey Keller before to Tim Howard now, they've all managed to survive in top European leagues but Landon has gone over twice and came back without a contract.
Italy probably has by far the easiest group in the first round, the rest of the groups are pretty even with either one clear winner and two teams fighting for second place or three teams fighting for all two spots.

#31 gak29

gak29

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts
  • Interests:Mets, Knicks, Jets, Rangers, Marist College, George Lucas's creative expenditures, analytic philosophy, and all facets of music

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:00 PM

Greece gots it tough. Then again, you never know with this team. They have the capacity, when the defense is stifling, to on winning streaks even with the toughest teams. Obviously Argentina will win the group handily, but I can easily see Greece bombing out against either Nigeria or South Korea.

It'll be fun though. At least they qualified (only their second time). Their wax wings melted from Euro 04 and failed to qualify for the 06 World Cup. But, they regrouped to qualify now and be considered in a high tier of the soccer world. Hopefully it's a sign of brighter future.
Posted Image

#32 GMF

GMF

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:46 AM

Guys! The really biggy here is Germany playing against Australia. That'll make for some fine trash talking between luke and myself come next june, ha haaa
The Few, The Proud, The Mets German Fanbase - LET'S GO METS!

Matt Cerrone on 7/22/09:
"October 2006 seems like a lifetime ago, doesn’t it…"

Dana Brand - January 2010
"Try not to despair about the upcoming season. If it made sense to root for the Mets, we would have given it up a long time ago."

Steven Hirsch - May 2010
“To be a Mets fan requires an incredible amount of patience, discipline, and tolerance, among other traits. It’s a non-stop job that will often cause much crying, screaming, cheering, and clapping throughout an average day. But most importantly, being a Mets fan means knowing that there are 162 games in a season. There is always time to make up for your mistakes, and there is always time to catch other teams.”[/size]

Danny Abriano - November 2010(before hiring of new manager)
I will never stop being a Mets fan. I will never stop caring about them. I will never stop hanging on every pitch, waiting for that next incredible moment.

#33 darkflyer

darkflyer

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:03 PM

Manchester United today won the game and lost two more defenders. Neville had to be subbed out in the first half and Brown left the game even when United are out of substitutes. No idea how long they are out but for now the backline is Rafael/Fabio/Fletcher at RB, Vidic and De Laet at CB and Evra/Fabio/Giggs at LB. If Ferguson don't bring in one defender in in January he's out of his mind.

#34 ZachTavlin

ZachTavlin

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:37 AM

Manchester United today won the game and lost two more defenders. Neville had to be subbed out in the first half and Brown left the game even when United are out of substitutes. No idea how long they are out but for now the backline is Rafael/Fabio/Fletcher at RB, Vidic and De Laet at CB and Evra/Fabio/Giggs at LB. If Ferguson don't bring in one defender in in January he's out of his mind.

I expect Harry to bring a defender to WHL as well, especially if Alan Hutton is sold. Micah Richards is a name I expect to be on a lot of clubs' minds, given his positional versatility and his reported unhappiness at Eastlands.

As for this past week, the draw at Everton felt a lot like a loss after Defoe's penalty was denied by Tim Howard in stoppage time. It would have been much better if Howard did that to Defoe on June 12th instead.
Posted Image

#35 darkflyer

darkflyer

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:50 PM

Defensive line in the last Champion's League game: Park Ji-Sung RB, Patrice Evra LB, Michael Carrick CB, Darren Fletcher CB, a 19 yo CB is the only defender on the bench. At least Nemanja Vidic seems like would be able to play Saturday coming off the flu. I think United might just bring in Simon Kjaer from Palermo, he would be eligible to play in the Champion's League too since I don't think Palermo was in any European competition.

#36 BlueGibbon

BlueGibbon

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:35 PM

Just letting you know, United are almost guaranteed to drop points next weekend when they face the mighty Birmingham City and their current club-record equalling 11-game unbeaten run in the top flight.

#37 ZachTavlin

ZachTavlin

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:58 PM

Just letting you know, United are almost guaranteed to drop points next weekend when they face the mighty Birmingham City and their current club-record equalling 11-game unbeaten run in the top flight.

Posted Image

Badass.
Posted Image

#38 darkflyer

darkflyer

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:20 PM

Heck, why not. They even dropped point against Burnley this year already anyway. They aren't winning anything unless they bring a defender in.

#39 darkflyer

darkflyer

Short Season A Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:50 PM

If they aren't going to buy they might as well just start selling, starting with Wes Brown and Park Ji-Sung. Park has done nothing for two years and Brown is even worse. I've lost track of how many games he has cost the team just by being on the field.

#40 BlueGibbon

BlueGibbon

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:45 AM

I was at the Birmingham--United game last week. Brown was very average but Fergie will keep him for his professionalism and his versatility.

Diouf came off the bench for his United debut (he was only granted a work permit last month). It's difficult to judge a player on only a few minutes work but he looks like a real athlete; very strong and quick. He scored yesterday against Burnley and could help to turn the club's fortunes around. One to watch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users