4 replies to this topic

#1 GMF

GMF

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

Any other Irish fans around here besides EJ, Ryan and me?
The Few, The Proud, The Mets German Fanbase - LET'S GO METS!

Matt Cerrone on 7/22/09:
"October 2006 seems like a lifetime ago, doesn’t it…"

Dana Brand - January 2010
"Try not to despair about the upcoming season. If it made sense to root for the Mets, we would have given it up a long time ago."

Steven Hirsch - May 2010
“To be a Mets fan requires an incredible amount of patience, discipline, and tolerance, among other traits. It’s a non-stop job that will often cause much crying, screaming, cheering, and clapping throughout an average day. But most importantly, being a Mets fan means knowing that there are 162 games in a season. There is always time to make up for your mistakes, and there is always time to catch other teams.”[/size]

Danny Abriano - November 2010(before hiring of new manager)
I will never stop being a Mets fan. I will never stop caring about them. I will never stop hanging on every pitch, waiting for that next incredible moment.

#2 birtelcom

birtelcom

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,842 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

Any other Irish fans around here besides EJ, Ryan and me?

My father, a good Jewish boy from the Bronx, was for some reason a huge Notre Dame football fan, and I inherited that tendency. That noted, I would point out that a neutral computer rating that properly incorporated margin of victory (or loss) would not have the Irish as the top ranked team in the country right now, and might not have them in the top two. The BCS doesn't allow computer ratings that include margin of victory in its ranking system because it doesn't want to encourage teams to run up the score, but you really don't get an accurate assessment of relative team strength without it. A neutral evaluation would almost certainly make the Irish a significant underdog in the BCS championship game againbst the SEC champion, although the actual Las Vegas point spread may be affected by the enormous popularity of the Irish around the country. All that being said, I'll actually watch the BCS game this year for the first time in a long time, and will be rooting like crazy for an upset win (don't I always?) by N.D.

#3 gak29

gak29

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,337 posts
  • Interests:Mets, Knicks, Jets, Rangers, Marist College, George Lucas's creative expenditures, analytic philosophy, and all facets of music

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

I grew up rooting for them, and I don't really know why. I'm sorta excited, but I didn't expect to be since I'm hating on football, especially the college game.
Posted Image

#4 birtelcom

birtelcom

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,842 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

I grew up rooting for them, and I don't really know why. I'm sorta excited, but I didn't expect to be since I'm hating on football, especially the college game.

Yes, I get that -- between the growing consciousness of harm to the players and the misery of the Jets, I'm paying less and less attention to football. And the decline of the long-standing conference alignments in college sports is depressing my interest in NCAA football and basketball both (conference names like the "Big Ten" and the "Big East" sound pretty stupid now, don't they?). Maybe that's why I'm excited about Notre Dame -- seeing them win is a nostalgia trip. In any event, thank goodness for the Brooklyn Nets and hot stove baseball.

#5 gak29

gak29

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,337 posts
  • Interests:Mets, Knicks, Jets, Rangers, Marist College, George Lucas's creative expenditures, analytic philosophy, and all facets of music

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

Yes, I get that -- between the growing consciousness of harm to the players and the misery of the Jets, I'm paying less and less attention to football. And the decline of the long-standing conference alignments in college sports is depressing my interest in NCAA football and basketball both (conference names like the "Big Ten" and the "Big East" sound pretty stupid now, don't they?). Maybe that's why I'm excited about Notre Dame -- seeing them win is a nostalgia trip. In any event, thank goodness for the Brooklyn Nets and hot stove baseball.

Well, for me, it's the laughable gap in priorities in these schools. Like, I know football has been a high priority over academics in some of these school for a long time, but now it's getting scary. Summer before last, I was in limbo in Washington State (a Pac12 school) for my TA position. They considered cutting it, and I would have had to come home a year earlier without finishing my MA. Luckily, that didn't happen, and I finished there in May. But, in the fall, I see a huge sign near the stadium with a lot of construction behind it touting the new "Football Building." Cause, I guess the team needs to get away from the rest of the Athletic department? I mean, here I was, an actual academic, and academics are the sole reason this institution exists, and they use money for the team instead of my job. Forget any moral qualms about it, it's logically self-defeating. Why should a school exist if the focus is going to be on football? The confrence alignment is a minor symptom of that. The major symptom is when the football culture becomes cult-like and something like Penn State happens.

And the NFL doesn't give a reprieve at all. Like you said, the harm to the players makes it hard to watch (but, I've grown to adore hockey in the meantime, so it can't be that important to me), and the Jets are the Jets. If something like that turned me off on a sport, I'd have quit baseball (really, all sports) long ago. I just can't get into talking football with people. Discussions are more vague, heavy handed, and boring than political talking points. And yet, people get really excited for this sport??? The way we view opening day, they hype up early Sept 10x more??? Why??? After getting into absolutely wonderful, nuanced, and vigorous discussions about baseball for close to half my young life, football can't compare. It's not even conducive to that type of discussion. The excitement, then, surrounding it starts to seem barbaric.

I mean, think about this. When baseball canceled the 1994 postseason, what was the reaction? "This is terrible for the sport to let this tradition be tarnished" things like that. When the NFL had a little bitty lockout before the season? "OMG WHAT AM I GONNA DO ON SUNDAYS???" Oh, yeah. There is some big time appreciation going on there....
Posted Image

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users