#1 tabes

tabes

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts
  • Interests:Mets (of course), all types of music, Giants, Sabres

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

So, any thoughts on the latest Star Wars news, both the Disney purchase and the upcoming episodes VII-IX?

I'm cautiously optimistic. I think it's good news that someone other than George is writing the scripts. And while he's still going to be a major consultant, hopefully there's enough "outside" voices/influences (Kathleen Kennedy, the writer, the director) that knows what worked and what didn't with the prequels, that the next trilogy will be better. Or, the anticipation will be so high it'll be tough to live up to the hype.

What say you, Star Wars fans?
When the change was made uptown
And the Big Man joined the band....

-Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

#2 Doc

Doc

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,294 posts
  • Interests:Family, movies, graphic novels, music, Mets, Knicks, cycling, and shoveling snow.

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

The working title is "Jar-Jar's Big Ewok Adventure." I can't wait.
We Live. We Learn. We Teach. Posted Image
"Living the dream, Baby."--Mr Met.

#3 gak29

gak29

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,337 posts
  • Interests:Mets, Knicks, Jets, Rangers, Marist College, George Lucas's creative expenditures, analytic philosophy, and all facets of music

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

So, any thoughts on the latest Star Wars news, both the Disney purchase and the upcoming episodes VII-IX?

I'm cautiously optimistic. I think it's good news that someone other than George is writing the scripts. And while he's still going to be a major consultant, hopefully there's enough "outside" voices/influences (Kathleen Kennedy, the writer, the director) that knows what worked and what didn't with the prequels, that the next trilogy will be better. Or, the anticipation will be so high it'll be tough to live up to the hype.

What say you, Star Wars fans?

I'm cautiously optimistic, as well. My rub is Disney's intent. Disney has a watered down aura, but they have treated the Marvel and Muppet franchises with grace and churned out some excellent content with them. And they shocked me with my new favorite show on TV: the Disney Channel's Gravity Falls. So, the company has been on my good side lately.

BUT, if that getting-on-my-good-side streak were to end, Star Wars would seem prime for that.
Posted Image

#4 Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne

Triple A

• Blogger
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

Great news....

The Star Wars galaxy did not end with Return of the Jeri. The expanded universe has had some of the greatest moments in the Star Wars world, much better than anything in the movies. If they use some of these for source material, than I will be happy.
Ya Gotta Believe!

#5 tabes

tabes

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

Stop that.

#6 tabes

tabes

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

Stop that.

#7 tabes

tabes

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

I guess my phone felt so strongly about Doc's post it double posted my response. Funny.

#8 tabes

tabes

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

Meanwhile-

I've also enjoyed The Clone Wars show.

Agree with the concerns with Disney, but as you said they haven't intruded too much in other areas, so hopefully they let Star Wars be Star Wars.

I do know one thing- it's going to be EXTREMELY WEIRD not seeing/hearing the 20th Century Fox logo and fanfare when Episode VII starts. I think that logo and fanfare is as ingrained in Star Wars as the "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" line is, and it's going to be weird seeing it replaced by a Disney logo.

#9 Hoovbacca

Hoovbacca

Admin Team

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,219 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

As someone who denies that Episodes 1-3 exist, i am cautiously optimistic as well, for the reasons Gak mentioned. But i can easily see how it could all go wrong too.....in the end, I will probably see them, but like Ep 1-3, if i dont like them, i wont see them again, or buy them.....

jb
Posted Image

#10 tabes

tabes

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

As someone who denies that Episodes 1-3 exist, i am cautiously optimistic as well, for the reasons Gak mentioned. But i can easily see how it could all go wrong too.....in the end, I will probably see them, but like Ep 1-3, if i dont like them, i wont see them again, or buy them.....

jb

I bought them, but hardly watch them. When I do it's for specific things, like the Kenobi-Maul duel, which is great because the camera stays on them and lets you focus on their moves.

But again, I think this is why it could be a good move, because someone with fresh eyes will be producing/writing/directly. And hopefully they know what didn't work with the prequel trilogy.

#11 gak29

gak29

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,337 posts
  • Interests:Mets, Knicks, Jets, Rangers, Marist College, George Lucas's creative expenditures, analytic philosophy, and all facets of music

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

I love the prequels. They taught me how to NOT write dialogue.
Posted Image

#12 AddyHawk

AddyHawk

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts
  • Interests:All sorts of ill "stuff"

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

I'm excited. Harrison Ford wants in, and he wants a Han Solo death scene. Maybe as a motivation for the protagonists? I'm assuming they'll go with the children of our former decorated veterans of the star wars?
Posted Image

Leave it to the mailman to deliver....

#13 Retire#17

Retire#17

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Interests:My intrests include, the Mets, my wife and kids, complaining about work and not getting enough sleep

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

I am hoping they release The Ewok Adventure as episode seven. With the only change being that Wilford Brimley is actually boba fett after her escaped the sarlac pit.

644608_10200938925903242_1507082367_n.jp

#14 Doc

Doc

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,294 posts
  • Interests:Family, movies, graphic novels, music, Mets, Knicks, cycling, and shoveling snow.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

JJ Abrams signed as director. There may be a new hope yet.
We Live. We Learn. We Teach. Posted Image
"Living the dream, Baby."--Mr Met.

#15 gak29

gak29

Made "The Show"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

JJ Abrams signed as director. There may be a new hope yet.

I'm shocked this was official. I mean, he said no, and very adamantly. Perhaps the story is too cool to pass up? Would Michael Arndt be done with the script by now, and would it be that good?
Posted Image

#16 tabes

tabes

Double A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

I'm shocked this was official. I mean, he said no, and very adamantly. Perhaps the story is too cool to pass up? Would Michael Arndt be done with the script by now, and would it be that good?

That's what I'm wondering. He's a huge Star Wars fan, and so I'm sure knows that Episodes 1-3 were considered "disappointing", and wouldn't want to be a part of something that may also be considered a disappointment. I wouldn't think he'd sign up for this unless during the negotiations he looked at the story and liked what he saw....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users